CHAPTER XXI

His face was a display of sincerity, bright grey eyes wide and bare, a strawberry sucker in his mouth, a bottle of beer in his hand. He was missing half of his clothes; he stood before me with a derisive smile, shirtless, tie tied around his forearm. "Poor kitty."

"Was this you?" I demanded, my question indignant, the words lashing out at him. "Where did you go? Where are your goddamn clothes? Answer me, Eton!"

"It wasn't me. I'm hurt that you'd think I could do such a thing. I love animals. I donate to the shelter all the time. Anyway. It's been years since I moved on from bunnies to humans. When I have a house full of smelly, intoxicated fuckers, why would I go for a harmless pussy cat?" he tugged me away from the chaotic scene, we headed out in the hallway. "I could push a twerp from the top of the rooftop, or drown someone in the bathtub upstairs, I could probably smack someone's head against the wall and leave before anyone realises what happened. What I'm trying to say, Calla, is don't insult my intelligence. I'm not a child anymore. If I was going to hunt anyone, I'd go for the bitch you call your best friend. Where is she, by the way? I'm hope she's choking on her own blood, alone and desperate."

"If you've hurt her, I will drag you out of here by your goddamn hair and throw you in the police station myself. You won't have uncle Hektor to defend your case this time. How does 25 to life sound?"

An acrimonious flash passed by his features, blackhearted and hateful, he looked like he wanted to strike me. "I fucking hate you, Calla. You're such a fucking..." he controlled himself, taking a large mouthful of air and calming down slightly. His mouth broke into a sinister smile. "We're playing a game, I don't give a damn if you want to play or not, you're in. There are no rules. If I find Winnie before you do, I'll dump her lifeless body on her front doorstep tomorrow morning but not before I cúm on her face and let the jizz dry out. If you find her, I'll back off."

"You are out of your goddamn mind if you believe I'll play a role in your sick chases. It's not happening, Eton. Why don't you head home? You've had enough fun for tonight."

Someone bumped into me roughly. Eton caught me as I stumbled. "Is this goth bitch fucking blind? Watch where you're going."

The culprit squeaked. "Sorry!" I turned around in time to see Yuma in a swishy black skirt and a beige cardigan scurrying away, a fearful glint in her brown eyes, her plait bobbing behind her. I faced Eton only to find the back of his head in between crowds, some distance away. "Fuck." I cursed and tried following him.

"HEY!" Velvet gripped my arm, dressed in a silky violet dress. Half of her face was sprayed in blue paint. She wore risky, clear high heels and a tipsy smile. I didn't get her artistic vision but I'm sure someone appreciated it. Not me right now though. I needed to find Eton or Winnie and Velvet was holding me back. "HEY, CLEO!"

"I need to go, can I talk to you later?" I was slightly desperate, already shifting in the opposite direction.

She tugged me back, mouth to my ear. "WAIT! I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" I pressed urgently.

"Uh," she glanced down in thought, brow lowered slightly and then she shrugged. "Beats me. I forgot. Would you like to dance?"

"God fucking dammit," I forcibly wrenched myself away, ignoring her calls and shoving my way through the crowds. I could hear Rodger weeping for his beloved cat, demanding for the murderer to be found and hung. The atmosphere was rousing, the energies of the drunken students were frenzied, and people were panicking or arguing with each other. A murdered jock threw a punch at a Walmart-version vampire, yelling incoherently. A cheerleader with a slit across her neck, hair in pigtails broke a glass over the head of another cheerleader and she toppled to the floor, unconscious.