Coldfront

1970-2013

The casket I saw at the burial day 4 years ago was empty.

Since the identities of superheroes need to be concealed and their secrets carried to grave so the people they left behind can be safe from their enemies, Elysium or this cemetery for superheroes was built. Elysium is the right name for this place. The heaven where veterans, warriors, and heroes who did good deeds would stay. Every superhero lies beneath this ground in small vicinity while their names and goodness flies around the city. Perhaps the world.

Twisted villains could and would try every possible way to learn the weakness of the superheroes. 6 feet high soil and marble lid won't be able stop them. It's quite disturbing thinking about the fact that they won't even leave the departed ones alone.

That is why this park isn't mapped on any paper bases or digital based map at all, thanks to Aunt Casey. If someone accidentally input the location of Elysium, it would, instead, take them to the nearest branch of Kingfisher Cafe and if they still insist to not give up, they would end up, again, at another nearest branch of Kingfisher cafe.

And the navigation can spread out throughout 120 countries around the world. They could have a trip around the world with Kingfisher's coffee with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Literally a trip that runs on caffeine.

We walk down the empty pavement, still wet from the rain last night. The tall gate of Elysium fades off into the distant every step we take. We are leaving for Mistwood in 10. Les shows up just in time to tag along. I guess I don't have to ruin my sight by having books as my road trip company today anymore. He is in a white buttoned up shirt and black slacks. His dad's midnight blue tuxedo slung over his left shoulder and his black bowtie still untied, hanging around his neck just below the collars he leaves unbuttoned.

"So, Rocestor's busted...Veronica though, not the mayor. Does that mean Cryonics will be gone?" I ask suddenly.

"From the BPD's naughty list and front page of newspaper, yes." Les replies, slowing his pace down to match my short strides. "But definitely not from your life. Since I know you find him intolerable so he might as well stay to annoy you on daily basis."

"I think I can live with that." I look up to the serene morning sky, smiling slightly. Birds' chirping could be heard in distant. "I wish Coldfront could see his son right now."

"He won't be happy with me stealing his super suit again." Les's eyes are a little glossed over as he speaks and his voice falters. "I also stole his tuxedo for this evening. However, I won't be cooler than him anymore. Literally."

That last sentence makes my heart skip. I quickly grab his hand and my eyes widen when I realize it isn't cold to touch as usual. The tint of blue in his stormy grey irises is also now invisible.

That can only mean one thing. Throughout the process of curing his Leukemia, even with the aid of stem cells from an immortal donor like Chameleon, his power was still neutralized.

"Sorry." Les squeezes my hand, looking down at his black oxford. "I'm not so super anymore. Not even your heroic vigilante."

"Are you cured though?" I ask quickly, feeling heat prickling under every inch of my skin with anticipation. "What did Emerson say? You won't die?"

Wave of happiness surges through me when my best friend slightly nods. Ever had that feeling when everything is just so perfect? I'm not able to articulate specifically how I'm feeling but I know it's so uplifting. You have been hoping for something to happen for a long time and when it finally does, you feel as if this excessive weight on your chest is lifted.