1.

This was it. All I've worked for, led me to this moment now. I stood in front of the Interscope Records building, still in shock. Just a few days ago I signed the paperwork that officially made me a Dreamville artist. But it didn't feel real quite yet. Now, standing in front of this building, the reality of it finally hit me.

"Are you sure you don't want us to come with you?" My parents asked me, just days ago.

"No, no. I will be just fine," I replied, while packing. "I'm eighteen now."

Getting signed to Dreamville had completely changed my after high school plans. I convinced my parents to let me use the money we had saved up for college to rent a beautiful, but modest, New York apartment. It was also right near the Dreamville studio at Interscope. I had flown to New York just days after my high school graduation, to turn in my official documents to J. Cole himself.

My parents offered to tag along for a couple of days while I got settled but I convinced them I could handle it. Although, right at this moment, I did wish I was holding both of their hands, like a little kid on their first day of school.

I took a deep breath. Ok it's time to go in, I thought to myself. As I walked inside, all my "what if" scenarios played in my head, What if I'm coming at the wrong time? What if they forgot to make me an appointment? What if I filled something out wrong on the paperwork? What if this is not even real? I opened the large glass doors and approached the front desk. My black heels clicked on the tile floor, drawing attention towards me. Usually I loved the clicking of my heels, it made me feel important. But right now I was nervous as hell, and didn't want the extra attention. The lady at the front desk glanced up and smiled, which relaxed my nerves a bit.

"Hi, how can I help you?" She asked, brushing her loose blonde curls back.

"I uh- have an appointment?" I sounded unsure, which caused her to chuckle.

She clicked around on her computer before looking back at me. "Your name?".

"Oh it's Ayli-" I was cut off by voice from above.

"Miss Aylianna," I turned my head and saw J. Cole himself at the top of a curved staircase, casually leaning against the railing, "So glad you could make it, even with such short notice." He was wearing basketball shorts, a Dreamville hoodie, and some designer kicks on his feet. His hair was in a mess of dreads.

I smiled and looked down at the ground shyly. As he walked towards me, I looked up at his tall 6'3 frame, and nervously played with the ends of my hair.  J. Cole leaned against the front desk with one hand in his pocket.

"She's my 3 o'clock Becks," J. Cole said to the front desk lady.

"All set," she replied politely.

J. Cole turned around and walked a few steps before looking back and gesturing me to follow. My heels clicked behind as I followed him up the stairs and into a room that read "Studio 1".