twenty-four | please, don't do this to me

Start from the beginning

I shook my head weakly, completely embarrassed that a few people who were just exiting the cafeteria were now self-forming a crowd around me, whispering under their breaths. Jiao and Tori pulled me to my feet, Hailee fixing my hair before shooting the self-formed crowd a glare. "No, she didn't. I'm taking off early, alright?"

"We'll cover for you," Hailee answered with a supportive smile even though confusion sparked in her eyes. "Cut class, drink vodka, do whatever the hell makes you happy."

I couldn't help but chuckle. "Thanks, Lee."

Hailee rolled her eyes and faked a puke. "Go, before Mrs Waldroops whips you with her cane."

I ran down the corridor before Hailee even finished her sentence as I pushed open the doors and ran through it, the cold breeze wrapping around me like a cold blanket. I rushed towards my convertible and hopped in, swiftly turning on the engine as the car roared to life.

Feeling the need to look to the side, I snapped my head to the left and found Ruby and Ashton in a heated argument, evident in hands flailing around and Ashton's flared nostrils. I clenched my hand around the wheel as if to suffocate it before speeding through the wide-open gates of the school, passing Ashton and Ruby in the process.

I ended up sneaking inside the house since I wasn't supposed to be home from school so early and because I also didn't want to have the 'talk' from my parents. They always gave me the talk whenever the opportunity came through to only be knocked down whenever I walked out of the house.

"Aurora, is that you?!" I heard a feminine voice call out just as I was about to slip inside my room. My heart skipped a beat as I slammed my forehead on my bedroom door, hoping for a black hole to just appear and swallow me up for a few hours. "Aurora, I know it's you!" I slid down to the ground and let out a loud groan, allowing it to respond to my mother.

"Can you come downstairs, please?" I heard her ask.

Please?

I punched myself to see if I was dreaming. Nothing. I raised an eyebrow in confusion and decided to pinch my cheek, immediately wincing at the pain. Did my mother say please? I must've been living in another world of reality.

I didn't crawl through a mini door like Caroline did, right? That shit was so freaking scary, I wouldn't even watch it till this day.

As I plastered on a blank expression whilst descending the stairs, I found my father just slipping inside the kitchen in his casual clothes, kissing my mother on the cheek. I gagged at the sight before walking into the kitchen, letting out a heavy sigh before leaning against the wall as my mother and father turned to face me.

"You actually came," my mother said, eyes widened in disbelief as I saw my father's lips twitch in the corner of my eyes.

I scoffed. "And you actually said 'please'."

My mother bit her lips before offering me a Nutella sandwich. I glared at the sandwich as it begged me to take and devour it before I glanced at my mother to see her strain a smile. I cleared my throat and snatched the sandwich from her hands and shoved it inside my mouth, inwardly moaning at how delicious the chocolate tasted.

"Well, now I know you like Nutella or chocolate of some sorts," my mother said, taking a sip of her orange juice. "So, why are you home early?"