Chapter 13

Rick used the peace and quiet to reflect on his time spent in the apartment building. He enjoyed the months it took to secure the building from any possible threats. For hours he would sit and watch Amanda tend her garden, with a smile on her face. Many nights, in the apartment they slept in, were spent playing games and telling stories. They shared laughs, dreams, and heartbreaks inside the walls of their apartment. Surrounding him was his dream come true, it was inevitable that one day, someone would come and try to take it.

      Reloaded, and on edge, Rick sat in the hallway going over his happiness, when Vid flew up beside him. Startled, he pointed one of his guns before realizing what the movement actually was. As he lowered his weapon, Vid moved in closer. Rick took off his bracelet and held it out in front of him.

      "I think this belongs to you," said Rick.

      "I'd hang on to that if I was you. We can make a good team, and I've come to help."

      "Help? How?"

      "I kept eyes on the one that got away."

      "Keeping tabs on me?"

      "You're an interesting fella."

      "What's he doing?"

      "Getting reinforcements."

      "Were they part of the gang with the dragon?"

      "Yes, and I think they might have put the two attacks together because the whole squad is coming. They haven't entered the property yet, but they are gathering in the street."

      "I appreciate you letting me know. I'll be waiting on them."

      "Waiting? I came to tell you, so that you could get a head start."

      "And I appreciate that. You've been helpful. I now know how to deal with this."

      "Rick, you need to go. You can't defeat them by yourself."

      "Thanks for your confidence, but I'm not by myself."

      "The two of you are no match for these men."

      "Listen Vid, I understand what you are trying to say...Thank you."

      Annoyed, Rick got to his feet and walked down the hallway.

      "Rick," Vid called out. "We've got a place for the two of you."

      Rick didn't reply as he entered into the apartment to join Amanda. He found her in the back bedroom with a gun in her hand. Before he entered the room, he knocked on the wall in their secret sequence to let her know that it was him.

      "Oh, thank God," she said. Meeting Rick in the doorway, she wrapped her arms around him. They held the embrace for a while, just taking in the atmosphere of being together in the home that they created.

      "You know it's time to say goodbye," Rick asked Amanda.

      "Yeah...I know."

      "We did a good job. I'm proud at what we accomplished here. I think it was beautiful...I'll never forget what we had. It was quite remarkable."

      "We outdid ourselves. We are quite something when we come together."

      "I truly am sorry for what I did."

      "I forgive you...I'm sorry for what I did."

      "It was my fault. I should have put more trust in you...I love you."