Chapter 8

After their meal, the thieves were quiet. Most of the group had taken all that they wanted, and were preparing to rest before moving out. Four members of the group of thieves were on watch, keeping a close eye on the residents. None of the captives were allowed to leave the center of the street. Rick still anxiously waited for his plan to begin. He was growing frustrated at the lack of results. The leader, with the bear crown, was walking along the curb, in front of Rick, when one of his men approached on horseback.

      "Sir," the man addressed his leader, "all of the trailers have been secure. Our people are taking up bed inside. These four men are going to take first watch of the prisoners. I was coming to ask, would it be alright if I take a couple of men, and we scout up ahead? I just want to make sure the area is secure before we try to get some rest."

      "That is fine," the leader answered. "Did you eat? You need to keep up your strength."

      "I didn't eat any of the soup. You know how I hate that stuff. I did eat, but out of own rations."

      "Very well. Don't take long. We need to discuss some things before tomorrow."

      "From our map, the road doesn't last much farther. I'll be back shortly."

      Turning his horse, the man galloped up the street, and joined two other men. All three men, on horseback, headed down the street, in the direction Rick was walking away from, earlier. Rick thought of the woman that he left alone inside the brick house. She had no clue what was going on. Her husband was hurt, and in no shape to protect her. Worrying about the woman's safety gave Rick a headache. Closing his eyes and rubbing his temples, Rick tried to find relief from the discomfort.

      "What are you doing," one of the guards asked another.

      The question caught Rick's attention, and he looked up. One of the guards, on horseback, was beginning to fall asleep while riding around the group. The alert guard tried to wake the man up, but wasn't succeeding. Instead of waking him up, the couple of hard pats on his back, caused the rider to fall from his horse. Dismounting, the alert guard went over to the sleeping guard, and continued to try and wake him. While the alert guard was distracted, the other two guards started to yawn, and nod in and out of sleep.

      Looking around, Rick didn't see any of the other thieves awake. Everyone had retired inside a trailer to go to bed, and the other thieves on the outside, were slumped over, unconscious. Unable to get the results that he wanted, the alert guard looked at his other two guards that were barely staying awake.

      "Keep your eyes open," he yelled at his partners. "I'm going to get help."

      The guard ran into a trailer to get reinforcements, leaving the captives under the watch of the disoriented guards. Another one of the riders fell off his horse, and Rick decided that it was his time to make a move. As the last remaining guard that was awake, responded to the second fallen guard, his eyelids grew heavy. When the guards chin hit his chest, Rick jumped up and charged the guard on horseback. Jumping in the air, Rick shoved the man off of the horse, and grabbed the reigns. Other men pounced on the fallen guards and started taking their weapons. When the alert guard returned outside, he found himself looking down the barrel of several guns. Leading the horse out of the street, Rick walked over to the guard, standing outside the trailer.

      "I would like my things back," Rick said. "Where do you think I'd be able to find them?"

      "What did you do," the guard asked.

      "Just a little sleeping drug in the stew...You shouldn't eat from people that hate you."

      "I knew something like this would happen sooner, or later, but nobody listens."