Chapter 3

With an oxygen tank in one hand, and the end of the tether in the other, Rick emerged from the river. Treading water, he made his way to the embankment. Out on the sand, Rick was able to find a bush, with a strong root, to tie the tether around. Walking along the field's edge, he looked for the path. Finding the path made his quest more real. Standing at the foot of the path he looked back into the blackness of the flowing river.

      Thinking about his mission made Rick angry. His clothes were soaked, he was tired, his forearm stung from being stabbed, and he didn't like being blackmailed. He had a thought that this was punishment for what he did to Amanda. Rick wondered if he could get retribution for his misdeeds if he helped others. Knowing that the longer he stood still, the longer it would take to return to Amanda, he moved up the trail to the dirt path.

      The dirt path led into the woods in both directions. Going left, as directed, he followed along the path being wary of his surroundings. He had never been in this area, and was curious of how far the river took him away from his home. Being lost made him worry about getting back to Amanda in a timely manner. The longer he stayed away, the more she would worry. Causing Amanda to have a frantic mind, gave fuel to the guilt he carried in his chest.

      Unobstructed, Rick exited the trees, and the path opened up into another field. He couldn't see over the field due to the large vines standing taller than him. In the dark, he was unable to tell what plants surrounding him, and didn't want to take the time to inspect. The path finally led him to a small shack that stood in between the rows of vines. Off of the path, the shack was surrounded by a rickety, wooden, post fence. From behind the window, Rick could see the light from a flame flicker against the shadows. The shack was pieced together from objects found in the area. The shudders on the windows didn't match each other. Rusted tin sheets were used for the roof. Panels of different covered wood held the tin roof off of the ground.

      Rick took a minute to study the structure that stood in front of him. He worried about what was waiting for him. There was a thought that he could be walking into a trap. Keeping quiet, he tried to listen for any movement inside, but couldn't hear anything. Fear of the man not being home, made Rick stroke the hairs of his beard. Before Rick could move, a voice came from behind him, making him almost jump out of his skin in fright.

      "Are you just going to stand there? Or are you going to knock," the voice asked.

      Jumping off the path, Rick turned around, grabbed his pistol, and pointed it at the man standing in between a rows of vines. He was covered in the shadows of the plants around him, and it was difficult for Rick to make out any detail.

      "Wait, wait," the man said. "The only reason I revealed myself was because you were holding that oxygen tank. I figured she sent you...I'm pretty sure you're looking for me...I'm a friend, and I'd appreciate if you lowered your weapon."

      "Are you Jack," Rick asked.

      "That'd be me, but I regret to inform you...I'm not going to be able to help you."

      "What do you mean?"

      "The oxygen. I don't have the compressor anymore."

      Feeling defeated, Rick stared up at the sky and let out a large sigh. "Great," he said.

      "Does she got something of yours," Jack asked.

      "Yeah, something I really need."

      "Well, I know where you can find the compressor."

      "Where?"

      "It's with the man who stole it. He likes to take a lot of my things."