the conclusion

The police cars screeched to a stop outside of the house a quarter to midnight. The policemen filed out, rifles held tight in their hands.

They had been hunting for the killer known as 'unknown' for months, and hadn't had any luck. Then, they had received an anonymous tip.

The killer was there, in that house. Waiting.

Chief of police motioned to the SWAT members who lined up in front of the door, holding a battering ram. "One....two....three!"

The door burst inward, kicking up dust and debris. The officers surged forward, their guns raised. No one was around. The house was empty, clear of furniture.

The chief looked around in confusion. One of the officers, who had ventured down the hallway branching off the entryway, raised his voice. "Chief! In here!"

The policemen followed the chief down the hallway. There was a single door, cracked open. Chief put a finger to his lips and raised his gun. He nudged the door open.

Like the rest of the house, the room was empty, save for a slumped figure in the corner. The chief approached the body carefully. Blood trickled from the hole in the boy's skull, dripping into his eye.

The chief grimaced. He pushed the gun away from the boy's limp hand. There was a note pinned to the wall beside the boy's head. The chief ripped it down.

On it, there were carefully written words, and a name.

My name is Eli Roe.
I was the boyfriend of Reno.
The murderer of Analise.
The tormentor of Beatrice.
I am unknown.
And I am not sorry.

a/n: oh no! it's over! this book was a joy to write and I'm glad you guys were here too. I've entered it in the Wattys this year and it would be AWESOME if you guys voted towards my win. Can we do it?? I think so. Love you, and keep an eye out for future works. ;)