Chapter 26

Lily knocked on the glass ball, pressing her face on it as she peered inside.

"Stop, it'll crack," Sammie warned, weakly raising her arm up as Brooklyn finished unbuckling her. She slumped back in her bed and closed her eyes, her IV filled with an odd blueish mixture. Now that everyone was in the same room, I noticed that all the boys' hair and Sammie's remained the same color as before, where the twins and I's were much lighter.

I walked up next to Lily, taking in the sight. Jack was lying on a small cot inside the thin glass ball, his left arm hooked up with a dozen IVs. His right arm was stiff and rigid, his legs dangling loosely off the side. He had a large cloth wrapped around his neck, another IV hooked up to the side of it. The right side of his face had long claw marks down it, running from his forehead to his collar bones.

"What happened," I asked, slowly brushing my hand down the glass wall.

"Lady Bugs," Sammie squeaked.

"What?" Kristen asked.

"The Lady Bugs...they attacked him."

"Shit..." Brooklyn sighed, recalling when we left him hanging on the snare.

"Cara, come here," Sammie called. I walked over to her as she tightly wrapped her arms around me. "I didn't think I'd see you again," she sniffed. "How'd we get out?"

"Mike--"

"Me. The genius," Mike boasted as Lily rolled her eyes.

"Wait, if we were healed already why has Jack not?" Kyle asked Sammie.

"Mutt wounds take longer," she explained. "It's because of the venom. It'll take a while before his face is fully recovered." She ripped the IV out of her arm as she slid out of the bed, grabbing onto me for support. "Sorry, my knees are weak right now."

"What happened to you?" I asked, noticing that she was also in the same outfit as the rest of the girls.

"Someone knocked over a tree and I got crushed underneath. The impact crushed my legs."

I paused, taking in the information.

"Did you go alone?" Lily asked.

"Yes. I prefer to--"

She was cut off by the door opening behind us, all of us jumping as it slammed shut. Heels clucked as the woman walked up to us, stopping at Mike's side.

"Ah, good to see you all in the same room together, bonding!" She chirped. We looked back at her with blank expressions.

"Oh well," she snorted, pushing her red hair behind her ears. "My name is Faunvia but you can call me Faun." She held her hand out as we exchanged handshakes. She looked a bit suspicious in my eyes. "I'm going to be your guide, or whatnot. Whatever you want to call it. Guide, mentor, protector--"

"Protector?" Brooklyn asked.

"...I've said too much..." She gasped. "Well unimportant, come on, we have a lot to cover with you guys," she said, directing us to the door.

"Where are we going?" Lily asked, trudging along by her side.

"We're going to make a quick stop to the dressing rooms in the Left Wing of the Hospital Ward so you guys can change out of those awful outfits," she said, spinning Lily around to see all her sides as she almost skidded into the wall.

"That's...it...?" Kristen asked, looking nervously around the plain white walls as we walked.

"Then we're going to go to a Capitol meeting, oh President Becks is such a doll," she chortled, smoothing down her maroon dress.

The Hunger Games of Benguiजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें