Chapter XLIV: Hopeless

Começar do início

When the petite biologist reached a secluded part of the now newly-renovated the Reef lobby she asked the buff young man to take a seat on one of the comfy plush chairs.

She too, sat down just across from him. "To be honest Dylan, your gestures are making me uneasy so I wanted you to stop, please." She implored, wishing that the man was considerate enough to accept it.

"What do you mean? I'm doing all those things because I like you. Isn't that clear?" The young consultant looked dishearten but he bared his soul and true intention.

The young woman nodded her head. "I know that, you made it clear from the very start but I'm not ready for this yet and truly, I don't know if I Will be ready again, ever. I assumed you know the whole story, right?" She stared at Dylan's face, trying to make him understand where she was coming from.

"So this is about my sister? From the story I have heard, she ruined your engagement, right?" Growing up in the United States made the young consultant a straight forward person, so asking question like this was never difficult for him.

"Partly yes but not mainly because of her. Your sister have been nothing but rude and mean to me. From the very beginning, even before Tim and I got together. She didn't like me even a bit and to be candid about it, the feeling is mutual. I cursed the day I met her with all honesty." Sabina answered forwardly.

A certain light sparked on the buff young man's eyes and automatically, the petite biologist knew that he had a wrong notion again. "It doesn't matter, Sab. My sister have no say about my life. If she doesn't like you then it's her problem. I like you a lot, Sab so please give me a chance." Dylan replied promptly.

"Dylan, I really have no time for this. I like you too but not in the same way you do. I like you because you're my colleague and because you're very good at what you do but that's it. You are a good looking man but I don't fine myself attracted to you. You are fun and somewhat nice but I'm not drawn to you. Can you understand?" She asked, her tone pleading and kind.

An unreadable expression crossed the young man's face. "So this is about Tim. You are still in love with him, you still find him attractive? You still drawn to him, is that it?" He asked in a soft and hurt tone.

The petite biologist was cornered and to be able to make Dylan understand she must tell him the truth. "Yes, I'm still in love with him, I'm still everything what you said and more." She dropped her gaze until she found her lap.

"And I will never enter a non-platonic relationship, knowing that it's just one-sided. I'm not that kind of person, Dylan. As a woman, I believe in "happily ever afters" so I treasure relationship especially when one's heart is involved." She added lowly.

"Sab, I will do everything for you so you can like me back. I will help you heal." The young man tried to argue.

Again, she lifted her vision onto the imploring man. "Thank you but it's me. The problem is this." She pointed at her heart.

"Timothy still owns it." She said with finality, her pitch low but sure.

Sabina's honesty made the young consultant admire her more but her confession brought him despair. This was the first time he was turned down so it magnified all the negative emotions swirling inside him.