Chapter XXIV: The Matriarch's Dilemma

It was a lovely Sunday noon. The recently engaged couple was waiting for the Sebastians. Sabina had informed her brother last Thursday and today, it's Timothy's turn to tell his family.

They chose to meet them in public to avoid any confrontation between Sabina and the matriarch. Timothy was sure that his mother wouldn't do anything in public that would put a dent on her immaculate image because for Bianca Sebastian, status quo and social reputation is everything.

At half past 11:00 o'clock, Diego and Bianca Sebastian entered the posh restaurant. It was obvious that the husband was a bit uneasy being out in the public while the wife walked with a ramrod posture and very unnatural aristocratic grace.

After a few minutes, the couple spotted their second son but Bianca's face automatically went spiteful when she saw the woman sitting beside Timothy.

Sabina readily stood up as the couple reached their table. The patriarch hugged the petite biologist warmly while the matriarch remained standing stiffly.

"How are you, Sab? This is unexpected, Timothy and I hate it when we dine in public but nevertheless, this will count as a pleasant surprise." He declared cordially while glancing towards his son's tall lean frame.

Awkwardly, Timothy gave his father a one-arm man hug and his mother an equally awkward embrace. After the Paris trip, the mother and son never got their harmonious relationship back.

Sabina smiled brightly at Timothy's father. "I'm doing great, sir." She replied timidly.

"You seemed a forgetful lady, Sab. What did I tell you about this? You have to call me papa or else I'll be forced to address you as Miss De la Vega." Diego Sebastian joked.

Due to the patriarch's teasing, the petite lady was left with no choice but to repeat her response. "I'm doing great, papa." She almost choked.

"I love to be your sister!" A girly scream interrupted their exchange of pleasantries.

"Manners, Maggie!" The older Sebastian woman hissed at her bubbly daughter.

Margaret ignored her and excitedly hugged her father then she shifted and hugged the other couple.

"Hi, ma." Finally, she acknowledged her mother's presence but not until Timothy nudged her and discreetly pointed their female parent. The dry greetings from Margaret wasn't lost on the petite woman, making her more
nervous.

In response to her daughter, Bianca Sebastian just tilted her head slightly then proceeded to look at the menu sitting on top of the rectangular table.

"How are you, Tim?" Diego darted his gaze to his son. He offered Timothy a genuine smile that caught the latter off guard and earned a dazzling smile from his daughter.

Timothy smiled timidly to his waiting father. "I'm all good dad. Thank you for asking." He replied politely.

A giggle erupted from the bubbly model. "Really, Tim? You can do better than that. Loosen up, bro!" She teased.

"Your sister is right, this is a pleasant day son so smile and ease up a bit. We don't want to bore Sabina here." The former overbearing patriarch added, teasing his son for the first time in more than a decade.

Although in shock with his father's carefree behavior, a warm feeling sprang from the young heir's chest. He chuckled and reworded his earlier response. "I'm great guys, really great!"

Instead of being delighted, the playful banters among the occupants of the table irked and affronted the Sebastian matriarch to no end.

"Enough of that. Let's get down to business. Theo, what is this about?" She asked stiffly, suddenly feeling ill-fitted with the cheerful group.