Chapter 15

Betty's POV: When Jughead kissed me, I was taken by surprise. I thought that maybe he might like me, but I had no idea anything like that would ever happen. Maybe all of this time... I was being stupid. Whenever Archie hurt my feelings, or ditched me for another girl, Jughead would be willing to give up all of his own free time to be with me. Without hesitation. If he had plans, he would cancel them. And if Archie changed his mind, I would just leave Jughead all alone without a hug, or anything. And now, I regret it. It's been obvious all along, but I was too caught up in Archie to realize how much Jughead cares. Archie is really sweet, but not sweeter than Jughead. When he kissed me, he showed me everything I did wrong.
When Jughead pulled back, I said, "I'm sorry, Jughead." He looked at me in a very confused way, and regret fell all over his face. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. I'll...I'll leave." He said while grabbing his stuff. "No! That's not what I meant!" I said.
Before I could stop him, he shut my bedroom door, with his bag on his right shoulder.
What did I just do? Why am I so stupid sometimes?
I quickly threw on my coat, and before I walked out, I remembered something.
When we were little, the first time Archie ditched me, I ran all the way to his treehouse. He hugged me as I cried in his arms, and he gave me a book. He gave it to me, so that every time Archie would ditch me, I could go home and read it. And I did. I read it every single time. Until one night, when Archie didn't ditch me. Jughead was used to coming over and reading it with me, so he did that night. But I wasn't there. So, he left me a note saying, "Have fun." And when I got back, I saw the book. All alone. And now, I realize how many times I left Jughead alone for Archie.
I quickly walked over to my bookshelf, and went through every book, until I found it. It didn't have a cover, or even a title. It was just hundreds of pages with words. No numbers, just words. I put it in my jacket, and walked out the door into the freezing cold rain.
I went to Pop's. He wasn't there. I went to The Drive In, he wasn't there. I went to the treehouse, he wasn't there. But then I remembered another thing. A memory he's probably held on to forever. Our little tree.
The rain was getting bad, and the trees would blow into my face every other second. I didn't care. I had to find Jughead.
"Jughead?" I yelled. No reply. It was like that for several minutes, until I found the huge tree. The tree that I hadn't payed as near as much attention to as Jughead had. And I looked behind it. He was sitting there, with no place to go. Freezing, with his clothes and hair all wet.
I bent down, and sat by him. "Why don't you just go hang out with Archie? I'm sure he's better company than me." He whispered while rain was running down his cheek. Was it rain?
"You know that's not true, Juggie." I said. "I was so stupid. To believe that you would ever like me." He said. I didn't speak for a few moments, and then I said, "That's not true, either." He looked at me, this time I was sure it was tears streaming down his face. I got into my jacket, and pulled out the book.
"I still remember when you gave this to me. It was the first time Archie ditched me, and you told me to read this whenever I feel sad. It worked. But then, that one night that you came looking for me, I was gone. I chose Archie over you. And when I got back, I saw your note. And the book. You left the book laying on my bed. Something was holding the pages open a little, so I opened it. Inside, you put a rose. It had raindrops on it, because it was raining that night. It was still as red as can be, and still had the Rose scent. I loved that rose." I said.
"It's not your fault. Any person would go with Archie. I'm just the broken boy that's too broken to ever be put back together. Glue wouldn't even help." He whispered. I turned his face toward me, and said, "Archie is no better than you. And overall, you have a much bigger heart than him. After everything you did for me, and still didn't give up. And look, you're still here. But that doesn't mean that you should ever give up, Juggie." I said. His eyes were getting red, and his cheeks were getting warm from tears. "So, don't you think for a second you're any less than Archie Andrews." I added. I took my hand away, and turned my own head away. "Still, I'm sorry. For dragging you into this." He said. "Yeah? Well you shouldn't be, Jug." I said. "Why? There's no reason." He said. "Yes there is." I looked at him, and he looked back. "I know you remember this tree." I said. "Of course I do." He said. "Who wouldn't?" He asked. When he said that, he looked at the muddy ground. Once again, I lifted his chin up. I let it go, and then leaned forward. I kissed him. I could tell he was surprised, but he kissed back.
And it was only the beginning.