Chapter 7

Jughead's POV: When we got to her house, she quickly ran inside. It was about 7 minutes until she came running back out, with the Betty I knew. She had her loose curls up in her classic ponytail, but they weren't freshly curled. She replaced her bloody blue sweater with a white sweater, asking to be kept clean. But the thing that stood out the most, was Betty herself. Her natural pink lips stood out again, and I saw her skin glowing once more. Her eyelashes were long, and her eyes had barely any makeup applied to them. Betty was a sight. That I learned the first day I met her.
          Luckily it wasn't raining, but the sky was threatening us. "Jughead, what're you going to do when you don't have a place to live?" She asked. "My treehouse is hidden in the woods, so hopefully they won't find it." I said. "What if they do, Juggie?" She said. "Then I'll figure it out. It's nothing you need to be worrying about as far as I'm concerned, though." I said. I didn't want her worrying about me, when it's obvious she had a lot of her own problems to deal with. "If you need a place to stay, I always have that latter in my backyard, Juggie." She offered. "Thanks, but I'd rather not get pummeled by your mom." I said jokingly. "I'm sure she'll understand. Or we don't have to tell her.." I laughed.
Betty's POV: I felt so bad about last night. I didn't know how to make it up to him. No ones ever seen me during an anxiety attack, or me freaking out like that. He was there for me, and I was thankful. But now, it was time for me to make it up to him.
"Jughead, why don't you come over after school?" I asked hoping for a good answer. He looked at me, and then said, "The Twilight Drive In's last night is tonight, remember?" He asked. "Oh! We have to get Archie and Veronica to come!" He laughed at me, and then we found school.
When we walked in, it was lunch time. I sat by Archie, and Jughead sat by Veronica. "There you guys are! I was looking for you everywhere!" Said Veronica while pointing at me. "So, where were you guys?" She asked. It was awkward silence, because I gave Jughead a look saying "don't tell". He did as I said, but Veronica took it the wrong way.
"Oh my God! You guys are totally hiding something!" Said Veronica. Archie gave me a suspicious look, and raised one eyebrow. Jughead looked at me with an uncomfortable look on his face. "It's not like that, Veronica. Jughead was helping me with something." I said quickly. "Veronica, I'm sure they'd tell us if they were anything." Said Archie. Veronica rolled her eyes. "Whatever."
After lunch, me and Jughead went to the Blue & Gold room to work on the newspaper. Thinking about the offer I got from the Serpent, I asked Jughead about it. "Jughead, have you ever gotten an offer for something, and wondered if it was the right choice to accept?" I asked. He looked at me. "Is there something you wanna tell me?" He asked suspiciously. "No, it's just a question."
Jughead's POV: Of course I have. The whole Serpents situation makes me wonder: do I belong with them? Why she was asking me this, I don't know. But something's telling me it has something to do with....darkness. "Well, since you asked, yes. And it's still a problem....." I said. Betty gave me the look of pity. That word..that I hate. And hate? Is a very...very...strong word. "Juggie, if you want, you can talk to me." She offered. "I...I'd rather not share my problems with a girl like you. The most perfect girl." I said harshly.
As soon as those words slipped out of my mouth, like a little kid slipping on ice, I regretted ever saying it. She looked a little hurt, mostly because of the way I said it. This is why I hate myself, I always make the stupidest mistakes. And they end up hurting people.
"Just because everyone thinks of me as the "perfect" girl next door, doesn't mean a thing. And it definitely doesn't mean I won't listen, and at least try to help." She threw back. I noticed her fist that wasn't bandaged up she was clenching, and I knew what she was doing. "Betty, I never said that. And please, stop." I said as I was looking at her fist.
I don't think she even noticed her fingernails were carving, because she looked down instantly, and unfolded her fingers. I started typing again, while she was still hurt by the small comment I'd made. "I'm sorry, Betty. I just have problems." I apologized. "Yeah, and apparently I'm too "perfect" to listen to them." She said quietly. I could hear the sadness in her voice, taking up all of the happiness in just one hand. "Betty what's wrong? For real?" I asked. "Everyone. I could never be who everyone wants me to be. I don't want to be perfect. I don't want to be different. But that's what I am. Aren't I?" She asked.
I looked at her, and she looked away and took a deep breath. She gathered her things, and darted for the door. "Where are you going?" I asked. She looked back, and said, "I need to think, Juggie." And she left.
I wasn't going to let her leave on her own, seeing what happened last night. I gathered my things, and went out the school doors. I readjusted my beanie, and looked around for the bouncing ponytail. But all I saw was an empty sidewalk.
Betty's POV: I hate it. I hate the word. I hate, hate, hate it. I hate it. I hate that word. Despise it. I hate when people call me it, or refer to me as it. Perfect. It makes me want to prove a point. Prove everyone wrong, that I, Betty Cooper, am not perfect. I'm the complete opposite.
I was panicking. I couldn't help it, and I couldn't take it. I went through my houses front door, threw my bag, and ran upstairs. Under my bed, and dug it out. All of the same thoughts were running around my head. My mom wants me to be perfect. Polly needs to come home. The Serpents. I could never be perfect.. for anyone. No one cares. No one would care. I wouldn't care. Maybe I should just do one perfect thing for once, and give a favor out to everyone.
It was all so overwhelming, and I couldn't breathe. I grabbed the pocket knife, and ran downstairs, back out the door.
My feet were guiding me, back to the place. The place that helped me relax, let loose. Let it all go. When I got to the place, I went back to the spot. My spot. I laid back, and put the knife up to my skin.

"Betty!"

I heard faint whispering, but I couldn't pay attention to it. I was all I could pay attention to. When I put pressure on the knife, right in the correct spot, the whispering got louder. "Betty! No!"
I started on the side, when the whispering came right next to me. I saw him stand above me, and then everything went black. The knife fell out of my hands, onto the grass that was now rain covered, with dewdrops flowing down each strand.
He picked me up again, saving me another time. One last time...
But this was just the beginning.