Hey There Jealousy

**

“Dude, this is insane.”

“No, what’s insane is you wearing flip-flops in the middle of winter. I know it’s Vegas, but it does get cold here too, you know.” Brendon looked over at Jon from where they were crouched behind a cluster of barrel cactus on the edge of the lunch area. Jon was clothed in a thin tee-shirt, jeans, and black flip-flops from Old Navy.

“Brendon, you do know this is crazy, right?”

Brendon just glared at him. “He stole him from me!”

“Good, just so we’re clear.” Jon turned back to watch the two boys they’d been… ahem… selectively following for the past few days straight.

Brendon turned back also, his eyes narrowed as he glared over the cactus at the boys sitting at one of the outside lunch tables. They weren’t eating lunch, just sitting and talking, and laughing.

Jon could literally hear Brendon’s teeth grinding and the growl in his throat as he glared at the boys. Sighing, he stood up.

“Jon!” Brendon exclaimed. “What are you doing?!”

Jon looked down at him, rolling his eyes. “Helping you with your problem.”

“No, stop it!” Brendon said, grabbing Jon’s arm and pulling him back down.

“Ow!” Jon exclaimed when he fell on a few cactus needles. “Shit, Brendon!”

“Relax, your flip-flops are fine,” Brendon mumbled dismissively, not even paying attention. His eyes were back on the boys and he scoffed as they stood up and walked away. “I hate him!” he said, sitting back, looking put-out.

Jon plucked out the last needle and flicked it away. He clapped a hand on Brendon’s back and gave him a sympathetic smile. “Dude, you’re just gonna have to let him go.”

Brendon stared at him. “Are you stupid?”

Jon thought hard for a moment, then shook his head. “Nope. But you have to face the facts.”

“No, I refuse!” Brendon insisted, standing up finally, a determined look on his face. “Spencer Smith is my best friend! I refuse to let Ryan Ross steal him away.”

And without another word, Brendon went storming off across the lunch area, Jon following leisurely behind, humming to himself.

Brendon was mad. Spencer was his friend, not Ryan’s. Who ever gave Ryan the right to come in and steal his best friend away? No one, that’s who. Brendon was determined to get Spencer away from Ryan’s slimy clutches and back into sanity. Away from the world of rock bands and eyeliner. He needed to be with sane people again. Ryan Ross was weird. That was all it was. He was weird, and he was dragging Spencer down with him!

Brendon stopped at the entrance to the indoor cafeteria, peering inside. Ryan and Spencer were sitting at another table inside, talking quietly together. The sight made Brendon’s stomach turn, and his eyes narrowed. He was about to march right in there and pull Spencer away when Jon appeared suddenly at his side, as though he’d popped out of nowhere.