why do i feel disappointed ?

Start from the beginning

"i dare you to make a scene" Josh whispered in her ear.

"you are going to pay for this you hear" she returned the gesture, trying her damned best to smile while doing so.

Matthew and Stella just watched the whole scene from afar, while directing cryptic stares to each other.

"i get that you kids are still in the honey moon phase and all" Matthew said while walking towards them "but for god's sake, please keep the displays of affection to a decent level" he pleaded.

"we are sorry, godfather, we just forgot where we were for a second" Josh excused both of them.

"we all noticed that" Matthew pointed "but please, there are some things a father must never imagine her daughter doing, and seeing is even worse, so please, if only for the sake of my sanity, and my ability to sleep at night, keep it light OK?"

"sorry daddy, it won't happen again" she whispered in embarrassment, while directing an sting-stare to Josh.

A while later, the last few in attendance started to leave, Matthew stood near the door of the elevator until the last of the guest, Michelle and Rebecca, left.

Miranda just stood seated and Josh next to her, as they were forced to keep the act until the end.

Surprisingly for Miranda, Josh kept a stable conversation, they avoided any topics related to their arrangement and centered in trivial topics.

"i think its time we all call it a night" Matthew informed.

"i agree" Stella seconded.

"then we should get going" Miranda said "we will see you on Monday dad" she boded goodbye to him with a kiss on his cheek.

"we?" Matthew asked.

"did i forget to tell you?" Miranda inquired.

"tell me what?" 

"Josh is starting to work at the company on Monday" she informed.

Matthew's brow raised "you definitely did" he declared.

"what happened with the restaurant job?" Stella inquired.

"i resigned yesterday" Josh replied "i just told her a few days ago that i wanted to find a job more related to my field of study, and she suggested i start at Hawthorn industries" Josh explained.

"i wonder, just what else have you been keeping from me?" Matthew asked, while staring at Miranda.

"you would have a stroke if i told you right now" she thought.

before more question could be formulated, Miranda just gave nanny Stella a similar kiss "we should get going" she said, while taking Josh by the arm.

"right" he said while extending his hand to Matthew "i'm sorry about the commotion, godfather, i promess to take good care of her"

"i guess we will be seeing a lot more of each other from now on" he replied, while shaking Josh's hand.

"bye mom" Josh said and kissed Stella.

"take care of her, baby" she said, and Josh nodded.

Seconds later, they were inside the elevator.

As it closed, Miranda finally let go of his arm.

"we did it" Josh sighed.

"no thanks to you" she sneered.

"i think i deserve an Oscar at least"

"what you deserve is a kick in the nuts" Miranda threatened.

and they both headed down, silently after that.

Miranda could not help but relive that kiss in her head, and how it disarmed her, she felt stupid and embarrassed.

But most of all, a single thought roamed trough her head, and as hard as she struggled with it, she just couldn't shake it away.

She looked at Josh, who was reclined on the opposite side of the elevator checking his phone.

He looked tired and uninterested, not paying any attention to her, and she figured that it was precisely that which was haunting her:

"i got swept by it, but to him, it was just a game, designed to make me suffer, a way to laugh at me, to him, i'm no different than an incubator in the newborn wing at any hospital, he cares nothing about me, he took advantage of me, and the worst part is that i am aware of all that, i am aware about how he feels, i know just how artificial that kiss was, i know what he said to my father was just a lie, he doesn't intend to marry me, he didn't even actually wanted to kiss me, and yet despite me knowing all that, why, just why...

...i can't help this feeling of disappointment?"