xv. | SAVE MYSELF

xv. SAVE MYSELF
And all the ones that love me, they just left me on the shelf, no farewell
So before I save someone else, I've got to save myself

HERO RAN BACK TO THE CASTLE, STUMBLING AS HER LEGS GAVE OUT ON HER. She braced herself against the wall as she broke down crying, her lungs desperately in need for air she couldn't breathe in. She felt as though her heart would suddenly stop and give up on her.

     She wept, clawing at the fabric near her heart as she slowly crumpled to her knees.

     Fate was cruel to her. It took her mother away from her, and so she had to live through the years in Narnia alone as an orphan. Fate then decided to slowly age her to sixteen and halt her aging as it forced her to watch every Narnian die of old age and repeat the cycle in the next generation.

     Then it took Peter away from her.

     Looking back at all the times they've spent arguing and bickering, it made Hero wish their bittersweet relationship was just sweet. But she knew they weren't that type.

     "Stop it," she gasped out, choking on her sobs as she hit the wall with her closed fist. "Stop hurting me."

     She heard someone running from a distance and someone falling to the ground next to her. "Hero, stop it, you're hurting yourself." Caspian wrapped his arms around her and drew her closer to him and away from the wall. He brought her head to his chest and allowed her to cry on his shirt. "Ssh, it's alright," he stroked her hair. "You'll be alright."

     Hero clung onto Caspian as she cried harder. "It hurts, Cas. It hurts so much."

     "I know, bug," he replied, rubbing soothing circles on her back. "I know."

She buried her face in his shirt as she allowed him to hold her until her cries lessened. Caspian pulled her at arm's length and patted her hair to smooth out the tangles. He searched her eyes as he tucked in her hair behind her ears. "You alright now?"

Hero sniffed. "I will be."

Caspian smiled gently. "That's the spirit."

Hero opened her mouth to thank him for letting her ruin his shirt with her tears, but was cut short by the familiar feeling of tremors running up her arms and the tingling of her skin.

"Hero," Aslan approached them, his paws gently hitting the ground. "What's the matter, child."

Hero hesitated, sharing a look with Caspian as she mumbled. "It's Peter, sir."

Aslan hummed and nodded for her to go on. "Yes, and what about him?"

"I just...," Hero exhaled and hastily wiped her tear stained face with the back of her hand. "I just wish I could see him again. Be with him. Even the others—Ed, Lucy, Susan. I really miss them."

Aslan was quiet, his wise eyes searching her face. "Do you remember what I told you earlier?"

She sniffed. "About my mother?"

"And?"

"And that she died a hero."

"And?" Aslan pressed.

"And that I was brought into this world and was saved by the trees."

Aslan gave her a look and stayed silent, a small smile directed at her.

Hero tilted her head to the side. "I don't understand. What are you trying to tell me?"

"Hero, which world did you come from?"

"There," she replied, still utterly confused.

Caspian's eyes widened as he gripped her shoulders, making her look at him. "Hero, don't you see? You're from their world. You belong there. That means you can go back!"

Hero was taken aback, her jaw dropping in complete surprise. She tried to speak, but she couldn't form words for some reason.

Caspian laughed and brought her to a hug. "Hero, you can go back. You can see Peter! You can be with them and you can stay with them."

Hero slowly pulled back to turn to Aslan with large, hopeful eyes. "Can I really?"

     Aslan inclined his head to a slight nod. "If that is what you wish for."

     Hero let out a cry, lunging forward to bring her arms around the Great Lion as she wept tears of true happiness. "Thank you, Aslan. Thank you so much. You have no idea how grateful I am."

     Aslan chuckled. "I hope you find joy in there."

     Hero pulled away from the hug, only to be brought into another one by Caspian. He buried his face in the crook of her neck. "I'll miss you, Hero."

     She laughed and squeezed him tighter. "I'll miss you too, Cas. Thank you so much for everything. You've been the best friend a girl could ever ask for."

     They pulled away and Caspian cupped her cheek as she leaned into his touch. "Same goes for you, Hero. I'll never find another girl like you."

     She winked cheekily. "Well, I am one of a kind."

     They shared a laugh as Aslan and Caspian walked her back to the magical door that brought the passer back to the other world. Caspian and Aslan stood back and watched as Hero walked closer to the arch. She glanced at them over her shoulder and sent them a smile. "I'll see you again someday."

     Aslan nodded. "In your world, you will know me by another name."

     "Thank you," she said again before facing the arch again. With a deep breath, she closed her eyes and stepped through the passageway.

A/N

SEE. I TOLD YOU IM NOT MEAN.

OMG ONE CHAPTER LEFT WAAH IM GONNA CRY. Tbh I love Ed and Hero's relationship more than Peter and Hero's whoops.

I hope you enjoyed this really short chapter, don't forget to fan, vote, and comment!