xiv. | GALWAY GIRL

xiv. GALWAY GIRL
You know she beat me at darts and then she beat me at pool
And then she kissed me like there was nobody else in the room

HERO STOOD NEXT TO PETER OUTSIDE THE CASTLE. After her conversation with the Great Lion, they headed back to where all the Telmarine people and the Narnians were gathered. As soon as she made her stand next to the Pevensie boy, Peter had grasped her hand and held onto it tightly as though he was afraid she would suddenly disappear. It made Hero curious, but she didn't say anything about it.

Caspian cleared his throat and stepped forward to speak. "Narnia belongs to the Narnians just as it does to man. Any Telmarnies who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. And for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

A Telmarine lord said in protest. "It has been generations since we left Telmar."

"We are not referring to Telmar," Aslan responded the Telmarine. "Your ancestors were sea-faring brigands, pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world, the same world as our kings and queens." He paused to look over at the Pevensies, giving a subtle nod to Hero. "It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

There was a pause as glances were thrown around amongst the Telmarines until Glozelle spoke up. "I'll go. I will accept the offer."

"So will we," Prunaprismia piped up, her baby in her arms as she and another Telmarine Lord followed Glozelle and stood before Aslan.

Aslan gave them a nod. "Because you have spoken first, your future in that world will be good." The lion turned to the direction of the Pevensies and Caspian and let out a breath that swayed the trees and rustled the leaves. Slowly, the tree behind Caspian began to twist and formed a round opening. Big enough for a person to fit through it.

Hero watched with wide eyes as Glozelle, Prunaprismia, and the Telmarine Lord walk through and vanish completely from sight. She stifled a gasp that threatened to leave her.

The Telmarines gasped as a peasant voiced out the concern of several of them. "How do we know he is not leading us to our deaths?!"

Reepicheep turned to Aslan. "Sire, if my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice though with no delay."

Aslan looked over at the Pevensies and Hero tilted her head slightly in confusion. Peter turned very still as he turned to her with a desolate expression on his face. Hero blinked, clearly not understanding what was happening. Peter swallowed hard and slowly pulled his hand away from hers as he spoke up without tearing his eyes from Hero's. "We'll go."