18》Hidden Bruises

WARNING: implied self-harm (barely), mentions of physical/emotional bullying

-Connor POV-

Connor woke up to the most beautiful face in the world.  He kissed the face's forehead, careful not to wake him up.  He got up off the couch and stretched.  He grabbed his crutches but they clattered to the floor loudly.

"Connor?" Came Evan's muffled voice.

"I'm here," Connor replied.

Evan peeked out from under his blanket, "Can you pass me my sweater?"

"Sure," Connor tossed the hoodie over to Evan.

"You're the best boyfriend," Evan said, taking Connor by surprise.  "Um-I mean only i-if you want to.  Ididn'tmeantoassume...Ijustdon'tknowhowthisworksorifweareofficiallydatingorwhatever..."

"Don't worry," Connor smiled, trying to make him feel better.  "I'll be your boyfriend."

Evan blushed, "O-oh...okay."

"Hey do you want to go out with me?"  Connor suggested.

"R-right now?"

"Do we have anything else to do?" Connor shrugged.

"Where are we going?" Evan stood up.

"How about the orchard, and then we can get lunch?  How does that sound?" Connor decided.

Evan's wide eyes lit up, "That sounds perfect! Just the two of us."

The way Evan said "us" made Connor so happy his heart could explode.

They walked outside to an empty driveway. "Shoot! My mom has the car," Evan frowned.

"It's okay," Connor wrapped his hand around his boyfriend's hand.  "We can walk to my house and use Zoe's car.  With permission this time." Connor shuddered, remembering the last time he had borrowed Zoe's car and the wrath that it had brought down on him.

They started walking to the Murphy house. The sun was brutal, and Connor was sweating even with just a tee and jeans.  He tied his hair into a ponytail and fanned his face.  Evan also had sweat dripping down his forehead, but for some reason he remained wearing his sweater.  He didn't even unzip it.  Evan made a little sound and Connor looked at him with concern, "What's wrong?"

"It's just...you look really-uh...great with your hair like that," Evan wouldn't look at him.

"Aren't you hot?" Connor asked gently and stopped walking.  "Do you want me to hold your sweater, Ev?"

"I'm fine, Connor."

"Your face is red-"

"I said I'm fine!"

Connor backed up a little.

"I'm sorry.  I just...I'm sorry.  Can we forget about it?" Evan pleaded for forgiveness.

How could Connor say no to a face like that? "Of course.  Let's go to the orchard."  But Connor knew he couldn't just drop it.  He needed to do what was best for Evan.  Something was bothering him.

As the couple was approaching the Murphy house, Connor spotted Zoe who was just getting out of the car.  Her arms were piled with grocery bags.  Connor jogged up to her.  "Hey, Zo! Have I told you how nice you look-"

"What do you want?"

"I need your car.  Now.  It's sort of an emergency."

"What kind of emergency?"  Zoe spotted Evan.  "Ah, I see.  First date with your boyfriend."