Velvet

A few days later, Harry called in sick when he wasn't the least bit sick, deciding to have a day to himself.

He spent the morning in his window with his camera, taking pictures of Zayn having his morning coffee.

A few weeks ago he got an extension for his camera, and it was perfect for getting good shots of Zayn from across the street.

"Ew." Harry muttered as Eric pulled up.

He put his camera aside and got his binoculars, watching him get out of the car.

His chest ached at the way Zayn smiled at him, coming out into the driveway to greet him.

Harry watched them kiss, feeling his skin get hot.

His jaw clenched as Eric lifted Zayn up off the ground, the two of them smiling and laughing about something.

Harry watched Louis come out, walking past them and down the driveway.

He frowned, adjusting the binoculars and seeing that Louis was carrying a measuring cup.

"Shit." Harry said, quickly moving away from the window and pulling the curtains closed.

Should he pretend to not be home?

Well, that'd be difficult with his car out in the driveway.

He sighed, pulling on a pair of pajama pants and shuffling down the hall.

Louis was already knocking before he could get downstairs, and when he got to the bottom Harry realized he forgot to put underwear on.

Or a shirt, for that matter.

He shrugged, figuring pants were enough.

He opened the door, making himself smile. "What's up?"

"Nice butterfly." Louis commented, immediately looking over all of his tattoos.

"Um, could I trouble you for a cup of milk? I'm making a cake." Louis said.

"Oh, you're a baker?" Harry asked skeptically, folding his arms.

"No. I'm bored and hungry." Louis chuckled.

"Is...Liam not here?" He asked, rising up onto his tiptoes a moment and glancing off behind Harry.

"No. He's at work. You know, he went on and on about you after your date. He thinks you look like someone from one of the little cartoon things he watches. Um, anime." Harry remembered.

Louis slowly frowned. "He thinks I look like a cartoon character?"

Harry blinked, realizing he might've offended him.

"Well- no, not exactly. I mean it's not a bad thing. He thinks you're beautiful. He went on about that after he first saw you." Harry said.

"Oh." Louis blushed, smiling to himself.

"Yeah. So you needed....." Harry trailed off, stiffening as he saw Zayn walking towards them.

However, he stopped in the yard. "Lou, Eric brought milk." He said.

Good God his voice was like velvet.

Harry could listen to it all day.

"Oh good. He saves the day again." Louis said sarcastically.

Zayn didn't react, glancing at Harry before he turned and walked away.

Harry bit his lip, watching him walk away.

"Well thanks anyway." Louis shrugged, turning to follow Zayn.

"Hey, wait a second." Harry spoke up.

Louis paused, looking at him.

"Do you...not like Eric?" Harry asked.

Louis blinked. "You know Eric?"

Harry's heart started pounding. "Um, no I was just asking. He just said Eric brought the milk so I assumed that guy who just pulled up w-was Eric. The way you reacted...I just wondered if you didn't like him."

"Oh. Well...he's okay. I wouldn't say I don't like him. But I wouldn't rush to say I like him either." Louis admitted.

"Really? What's wrong with him?" Harry asked quietly, raising an eyebrow.

Louis smiled at little at how interested Harry seemed. "Nothing's wrong with him. He's just kind of there, and he's one of those Mr.perfect type guys. Always does everything perfectly. He uses Zayn for weightlifting."

Harry frowned.

"He...you know, lifts him up and down when he-"

"No, no I get it." Harry interrupted sharply.

"I just...am failing to see the point in that."

Louis chuckled. "Yeah they're weird. I guess that's why they work so well. Anyway, see you later Harry."

"Yeah. We should have that dinner soon." Harry decided to mention.

"I agree. I'll talk to Liam about it." He smiled as he walked away.

Harry waved, stepping back and closing the door.

×
×
×

Later that day, Harry was in his room smiling as he looked through the photos and videos of Zayn he took when Liam got home.

"Hey." Liam said, appearing in his doorway.

"What." Harry said flatly, not wanting to be disturbed at the moment.

Or any moment when he was looking at Zayn.

"I came by the market today on my lunch break and that weird kid said you called in sick. You don't look sick." Liam said.

He then looked at Harry's laptop screen.

"Well, actually-"

"I needed a day to myself. Which I see is over now." Harry interrupted, closing his laptop.

"Why are you so grumpy?" Liam frowned, feeling attacked.

"Maybe because I live my life constantly aching for someone I can't have? Just a thought." He said sharply.

A look of sympathy spread across Liam's face.

"Hey, Louis wants all of us to have dinner. He said he was going to talk to you about it." Harry said.

"Yeah he did. He met me in the driveway just a bit ago. We're having it Friday night at Zayn's. That's what I wanted to talk to you about." Liam said.

Harry stared at him, waiting.

"Are you going to be okay? I know you get all worked up when Zayn even looks in your direction." Liam said.

"I'll be fine. I'm ready. I'm tired of always wondering what it would be like to speak to him. I've decided it's time to make a change. Even if I think I won't be able to say anything he deserves to hear, I think it's worth a shot. Better than not trying at all." Harry said, feeling brave.

"...Yeah, that's the spirit." Liam said hesitantly.

Honestly Liam was worried Harry would slip up and blurt out Zayn's blood type and social security number.

"Anyway, Friday night at six." He added before he walked off.

"Friday night at six." Harry repeated with a sigh, already feeling nervous.

He needed to look his absolute best.

Perhaps a shopping trip was in order.

×××××××××××
A/N: I'm excited for this dinner.
- Z