Succulents

"You've sprouted up nicely for daddy, haven't you?" Harry smiled, watering one of the many plants he was responsible for taking care of.

This was his favorite part about working in the garden center.

"Oh, you too. I'm proud." He said quietly, watering another.

"I was only away for a day and you've all grown so much." He smiled, putting the watering can down.

"Let's go check on your spikey little cousins." Harry said, walking over to the cacti.

"Looks the same as it did three weeks ago." He said flatly, wondering why someone would ever want one of these things.

They were ugly.

Like something someone who was desperate for decoration would use.

Someone with a busy life who didn't have time to cater to a needy, but more beautiful plant.

"Excuse me."

Harry turned to see a small man standing over by the succulents, looking at him.

"What?"

"Shit- I mean, welcome. How may I help you?" Harry smiled, walking over to him.

"I was wondering how much these little ones are, they don't have any price tags." The man said.

"Good question. Let me just..." Harry trailed off, struggling to get his pricing gun off of his belt.

"Good thing I'm not a cop and those succulents aren't trying to kill us, right?" Harry chuckled nervously, jerking the damn thing to get it free.

"Yes, because we'd both be dead. Clever." The man said sarcastically, folding his arms.

Harry pretended to scan him with the pricing gun.

"Hm. Not sure if I want to buy this product. Says it's 100% sense of humor free."

The man gave him a mean look, eventually cracking a smile as they both chuckled.

"Just tell me how much they are! I have to get back and start decorating my new room." The man insisted, his slightly prominent collarbone catching Harry's eye.

"Five even for one." Harry said after he scanned it.

"I'll take these three." The man said, gathering them.

"Right this way." Harry said, stumbling over a stray pot as he started walking.

He didn't fall though, thankfully.

"So new room? You a college student or something?" Harry asked as he scanned the succulents at the register.

"Aw, how sweet. You think I'm that young." The man said, looking at him with large eyes that were a muted teal color.

"No I'm moving in with my best friend. I want my room to look nice this time instead of...like it usually does." He explained.

"Oh yeah? Cool. I live with my friend too. I wouldn't call him my best friend, but I suppose I'd take a bullet for him." Harry figured.

"Interesting." The man chuckled.

"Yeah he's here with me now, dunno where he wandered off to, I thought he was following me. Maybe he got stopped by some fans. He's kind of famous." He bragged.

"Yeah? Would I know him from something?" Harry asked.

"He's a writer. Zayn Malik?"

Harry's heart dropped. "He lives across the street from me." He said quietly, realizing he'd just spoken to Zayn's best friend.