14 • the morning after

// margot kate franklin //

@margotkatefranklin: "is there something or nothing you want me to say? do you want me to go now? 'cause baby I want to stay."

• • •

"Shit," I muttered as I glared at the screen of my phone. 7:13 a.m.

"What?" Shawn asked as he sat up and opened his eyes.

I showed him the time.

"Shit."

"I'm glad we agree," I said, getting up.

"Is your dad still sleeping?" he asked, and I shrugged.

"I doubt it. He's usually up by now," I replied, considering trying to get Liz's help. She's kind of pissed off at me though, and I really don't think she'll be thrilled to help me out.

I walked back into the house, and peeked over the staircase that led from the downstairs of the house to upstairs. I saw Liz at the kitchen table, but not my dad.

"I'll be back," I said to Shawn, and proceeded to head down the stairs.

"Look who it is," Liz said unenthusiastically.

"Yeah yeah yeah. Is Dad up?" I asked her, and she shrugged.

"Haven't seen him," she replied, which slightly comforted me.

"Oh. Ok," I said nonchalantly.

"Better get your stupid boyfriend down here before he does get up. I'm pretty sure Dad would literally have a heart attack," she told me.

"What?" I asked.

"You're not that slick, Margot. I was 17 before you were," she said, a smirk on her lips.

"You won't tell?" I asked, and she shook her head.

"No. But you definitely owe me one," she said, getting up and grabbing her car keys.

"Definitely," I replied.

"I'm going to Starbucks. Want something?" she asked, and I shook my head.

"No thanks," I replied, and she shrugged and walked out the door.

I hurried back upstairs and quickly retrieved Shawn.

"We're in the clear," I told him, and the two of us tiptoed down the stairs, then quietly headed outside.

I could finally breathe again.

"Sorry about that," he said, and I smiled and shook my head.

"It's actually more my fault. I'm sorry," I told him.

"It was worth it, Margot," he said with a small smile. "So I guess I'll see you later?" he asked hopefully.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer to me, kissing him softly and slowly before pulling away. "Maybe. Maybe not," I replied.