Lightning Strikes

♫  

The college felt very empty. Too empty. It was just me and some of the canteen aunties and uncles in this very empty space. I looked at my watch. It was 6.57a.m. I continued to sip on the ice Milo that I just bought from the drinks stall and decided to soak in the cool, dawn breeze.

I guess Alb hadn't arrived yet. I took out my iPhone and decided to just fool around in my family's WhatsApp chat. I could hear the chatter of some incoming students decked in their secondary school uniforms too. I was kind of dreading today. Uniform sales would start today.

A rather odd sight caught my eye as I returned to the cutlery disposal area though. A petite girl with long, golden curls secured by two pigtails walked past me. She stared at the grey walls of the canteen with wistful green eyes. Was she lost? She clutched a red A3 sized portfolio close to her chest.

"He...Hello. Are you lost?" I asked after I returned my cup.

"I'm looking for the general office. I have to go for an appeal interview," she said with a thick French accent.

My eyes widened when I saw golden glitter on the straps of her navy-blue pinafore. I offered to show her the way and she accepted. As we walked through the still dark school, I had this feeling that her eyes had always been on me.

"So, you're here to change schools? No wonder why I haven't seen you around school. I mean, anyone can notice you from a mile away from your hair!" I said with a small laugh.

As we walked past the performing arts block, our reflections walked alongside us. I faced the mirrored wall and froze in my tracks. What was this feeling? Our reflections stared back at us. Our eyes...almost had the same quality despite the different colours.

Perhaps it was the sulky darkness of the morning that made the French girl that way but never once did she smile or utter a single word. At that time, her mouth began to move, as though she wanted to say something. My eyes widened when I saw this and I jerked to face her.

"Minori Amami, have you ever questioned your identity before?" she asked.

If my eyes could go any bigger, they would have. My heart was about to leap out of my chest. How did...she know my name? Her eyes were still on the mirrors though. I had no idea who had more questions now. Was it me or her?

"I...Why should I? I mean, no. How...How did you know my name?" I asked.

"I don't know either. That's why I'm wondering if...you've ever questioned your identity before. Have you ever wondered if you're more than just human?" she asked back.

Well, I was near hairless save for that shaggy mop atop my head. I walked upright and was pretty sure that I did not have elf ears or the like. Why would she ask such a weird question? Reality had hit me. I looked down at the first floor and saw Sam screaming for me to come down.

"Minori, you lost or something? We're down here!" he screamed from the amphitheatre near the school hall.

"Hold on! Let me take her to the GO first!" I screamed back.

I turned to face the French girl again. Her emerald eyes bored through my soul, as though it wanted to latch itself to...no. Somehow, my hands found themselves on my throat. What was this weird feeling?

"It's okay, Minori. I'll make my way down to the GO first," said the French girl.

She walked away, sling bag bouncing off her curvy hips and her arms still clutching her portfolio. I stood there, feet cemented to the ground. I could have sworn for a moment that I had...read her thoughts. Maybe I was just really tired.