Chapter 3: Vents

~Nearly 2 hours later~

"A double murder," he said, amusement flickering in his eyes.   

His words echoed in my head and I shot up, clambering up the stairs of 221C. I left my door wide open, tripped going up the stairs of 221B then flung the door open. They were yelling or arguing about something. John was standing by Sherlock, two tea cups in his hand looking concerned, afraid, and angry.

"Mr. Holmes, you said there was a double murder when I came with you to the crime scene, correct?" I panted. Sherlock stood up carefully and John set down both tea cups.

"You took her to a crime scene, too? Christ, Sherlock!" John said angrily. Sherlock shot him a glare and John sighed, give up.

"Correct," He said slowly.

"So where was the second body?" I asked. Sherlock smirked, glancing at John.

"Would you be interested in a cup of tea and a job at Scotland Yard?" Sherlock smirked.

~*~*~

"Lestrade has an opening? And he wants me?" I ask.

"Well, yes... he has an opening and no not really. But if I tell him about you, he'll accept you," Sherlock said.

"How come?"

"Because I am Sherlock Holmes." He replied bluntly.

"I-I have no experience in the law or cop area. I would have to enter schooling for years and-" I began but Sherlock cut me off again.

"You're smart. You don't need to know the law area, you just do what you must. You do what you did at the crime scene. I was testing you when I said there was two bodies. Only now you noticed but, we can work on that. That's all there is to it," Sherlock said. 

"I didn't do anything at the crime scene, though," I grumbled and he paused. 

"I will talk to Lestrade, if he can't get you in because of law or something, you can work with me. It's nice to have a second opinion. I always need someone to work with," Sherlock finished.

"What am I, chop liver?" John asks bitterly.

"You don't go with me much anymore. You always have 'work' or whatever," Sherlock pouted. John rolled his eyes.

"Alright," I sighed, tired of their bickering already.

"Alright, what?" Sherlock asked.

"I am open to Scotland Yard though I highly doubt they will accept me. I would be useless," I said.

"No one is ever useless. Just some people are more useless than others," Sherlock commented casually. I laughed, and John cracked a small smile.

"Now, I don't mean to shoo you out but-" John began but the door bell rang. 

"Client," Sherlock and John said at the same time. Light footsteps could be heard coming up the stairs, Sherlock eased back in his seat, and John sat down in his. I retreated the the couch farthest to the wall.

"Love problem, husband is most likely cheating on her," Sherlock mumbled.

"How can you even-" I began to ask but the door creaked open.

"Sherlock Holmes and John Watson?" The women asked.

"Yes, why don't you sit down," John said, gesturing to the chair. She sat down gratefully. 

"Tell us, why are you here?" Sherlock asked. Sherlock already knows why she is here so why is he asking?

"It's about my husband. I believe he is cheating on me with another woman," the woman said. "Oh please, tell me if he is! I can't bare it any longer!" Sherlock rolled his eyes.