There was no alcohol to be smelt on him, as his breath dancing across my neck, and against the shell of my ear. This man is sober, and so am I.

"Because if you do, they will see you, and I will have to kill you."

My entire freezes, the comforting feeling of the man behind me completely vanishing. Fear ebbed throughout my entire body, beginning in the beginning of my stomach before it reached up to take ahold of my heart. Instead of retaliating, though, I stayed still keeping my body rigid and ready to react.

"Why?" I ask again. My voice is harder now, fighting the fear with bare fists. As we sway, no one notices, so my voice is the only weapon that might get me out of this situation alive. "Is this because I know too much-"

His hand glides around me, grasping my arm before he turns me. I catch no sight of him. His hand is on the back of my head, gripping my hair loosely as he presses my face into the softness of the jacket. I'm blinded, concealed by darkness as I'm left to breathe is a sultry, intoxicating scent of jasmine.

"Death is a sweeter option than what they would do to you. You mustn't be noticed.," he whispers in my ear, still keeping me pressed to his front.

"I'm dressed in gold amongst a parade of silver," I grumble into the fabric, "I think I've been noticed."

I feel him exhale.

"You're their sacrifice."

At that point, I was done hearing his crazed words. I'm wrong about him. He is drunk. Just as I attempt my pull away, his arms lock tightly around my ribs, hardly relenting as I fought for not just my escape, but a little air.

"You need to listen to me, Alaya. I'm going to help you. We are going to help you," he says, a vacant, indifferent sound to his voice. He is trying to blend into the mess of people, trying not to draw attention to his movements. To an outsider viewer, we might just look like a couple in love, dancing intimately to the benign beat of the music.

I flinch at the use of my name, but I'm held so tightly, my voice of protest is muffled against him.

"You are going to cooperate. You will pretend to me dazed, drunk. You will go along with everything, and at the end, I promise, we will save you," the stranger continues. While he speaks, I try to figure out something about him.

He smells delectable. He is Desire Pack tongued. He's tall, strong, and his chest is broad. His suit feels expensive. And by the feel of him, he knows how to dance.

Nothing helpful.

He repeats that sentence till it rings in my ear. Until is digs in deep into my mind and begins to truly frighten me, clinging to my conscious. Then he surprises me. He releases my grip, letting me stumble away from him.

My eyes sting and dance with wild colours, before I can fully focus on the departing mans back. There is no way I'm about to let him walk away without an explanation. So I follow him, as he walks toward the stairs, his gait swift and unchanging. I follow, managing to close the gap between us as I shoulder people out of the way carelessly.

I pull at his sleeve, catching his attention.

"You can't just walk away from me," I growl. "I need an-"

My voice failed me.

He looks exasperated; anxious almost. That isn't what is bothering me, though. It's the fact that I'm staring at my Alpha. The Alpha of Desire. I've never seen him before, as far as I'm aware, however, he looks strikingly familiar, like a strike to the chest. The empty feeling returned, as I stare into his golden eyes, as if my lost memories escaped into the clouds, to never be seen again.