thirty-six.

'You okay?' Wilmer asks as he helps Demi out of the car.

'Mmm...' She replies leaning heavily against him as he closes the car door.

'Another one?' He asks noticing her eyes close as she focuses on her breathing. They stayed at home for just over two hours after phoning the hospital before Demi decided it was probably best if they made their way in so she could be checked over.

'Done?' He asks as she glances back up at him.

'Mmhmmm...' She replies as he kisses the top of her head.

'I'm going to grab your bags, okay. You okay on your own for a minute?' He asks and she nods her head.

'I'll be fine.' She replies. He let's go off her and quickly makes his way to the trunk where he grabs both the bags they've packed before making his way back to her.

'Come on then...' He says. She links her finger through his as they make their way towards the entrance. He hits the buzzer labelled maternity and waits for an answer.

'Hello. How can I help you?'

'Hi, my wife is in labour. We phoned up earlier.'

'Okay, can I have her name please?'

'Demetria Valderrama.'

'Okay. Come on in.'

The doors suddenly open and the couple make their way towards reception where an older blonde woman greets them.

'Mrs Valderrama, if you'd like to follow me I'll take you to your room.' The woman says and Demi nods her head.

'Do you prefer to be called Demetria or?' The woman asks.

'I'd rather Demi.' Demi replies and the woman nods her head.

'Okay. I'm Rita and I'll be your nurse for this delivery. Dr Beauchamp will be down once I've got you all settled in and checked over, is that okay?' The woman asks and Demi smiles.

'That's fine.' She replies.

****

'So you're about 7cms dilated which is absolutely fantastic. Are you wanting any pain relief? Epidural?' Rita asks as she takes her gloves off and throws them in the bin.

'No, thank you.' Demi replies.

'Okay. Well I'm going to leave you alone for the time being. If you've brought something to change into you can feel free to that now and you can also have a walk around to keep things progressing.' Rita says before leaving the room.

'Do you want to get changed?' Wilmer asks and Demi nods her head.

'I just need to-Ah...' Demi mumbles reaching for Wilmer's hands.

'I've got you.' He says softly as he takes hold of her hands and lets her lean on him. She breathes deeply as the contractions moves its way through her body. Her eyes are closed and her hair is pulled back into a messy bun.

'Fuck, that one hurt.' She mumbles as the contraction eases off.

'Are you sure you don't want to get any pain relief?' He asks and she shakes her head.

'I'll be okay.' She replies.

______

'Demi, how are you doing?' Dr Beauchamp asks as she makes her way into the room.

'Good.' Demi replies smiling as she leans on the side of the bed.

''Have you had any pain relief?' Dr Beauchamp asks and Demi shakes her head.

'No. I didn't want any.' Demi replies.

'Okay. Well why don't you pop up on the bed and I'll see how things are going?' Dr Beauchamp suggests.

'I've been feeling a lot of pressure.' Demi admits and Dr Beauchamp nods her head.

'That's a good sign.' She says. Wilmer helps Demi into the bed and holds her hand as the doctor begins to check her.

'You're ready to push now, Demi.' Dr Beauchamp says and Demi glances up at Wilmer.

'Really?' Demi asks.

'Yep. I'm going to pop out and get Rita then it's time to meet this baby.' Dr Beauchamp says smiling. She leaves the room and Demi gently squeezes Wilmer's hand.

'You have done so well, nena. I'm so proud of you.' Wilmer says softly as he leans down and kisses the top of her head.

'We're going to meet our baby girl.' She almost whispers causing him to smile.

'We are.' He replies.

****

'One last push and you'll meet your baby, Demi.' Dr Beauchamp says. Gripping Wilmer's hand Demi gives one big final push and instead of the cry she's expecting the entire room is filled with silence. Glancing up at Wilmer she sees nothing but pure panic on his face as he stares at the doctor.

'W-What's going on? Why isn't she crying?' Demi asks, tears filling her eyes as she attempts to move to get a better view only for Wilmer to place his hand on her shoulder so she can't move.

'Don't, nena.' He says quietly.