Money Changes Everything

Moette

I woke the next morning in a tangle of sheets, a smile creeping up my face as I relived last night. Drinks and sex had been on the menu, helping me take my mind off of the fact that I robbed my man and there was no way in hell I could ever tell him. I couldn't even tell Poochie; she'd make me choose on the spot and I'd have to choose her. I felt the empty spot next to me where Savant had slept and sighed.

"What the fuck am I gonna do?" I muttered, trying to figure out how I was going to spend today the rest of my life looking Savant in the eye knowing I stole from him.

I laid there for what felt like forever until my stomach emitted a large growl. Shit, I hadn't eaten dinner, had I? Swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, I pulled Savant's T-shirt over my head and padded down the hall to the kitchen where he sat staring at the television. I gasped at the sight: Roni, Juju, Damaris, and I were on the 72" television screen holding up our respective cashiers. Our hats obscured our faces for the most part and had I not been there my damn self I wouldn't have even known it was me. The news reported stated that there were no leads in the case and cut back to the news desk. Savant, who must've heard me, turned around and smiled, patting the seat right next to him.

"They did all that for a couple stacks?" Savant said, shaking his head in mild disbelief. "Some shit ain't even worth it."

I thought about losing out on one of the realest niggas I had ever met over some money and replied, "It damn sure ain't."

"Considering the time of day, I bet they only got away with like ten, twenty grand. Which ain't worth a robbery charge. If you must do a stick up, the smartest place to hit would be—" His phone started ringing, leaving me hanging. "Wassup, Q. You handle that for me?...Really?...Really...You know what? I'mma come and check you right now, aight? See you in a few, man."

"Is everything okay?" I asked, strumming my nails of the island table.

"Yeah," Savant replied, slipping his phone into his suit jacket pocket. "I gotta meet up with the security people for the club and shit. I'll see you tonight for dinner?"

"Of course," I replied, tilting my head up for a kiss, which he blessed my lips with. "Lemme go get ready so you can head out."

"You can stay as long as you want; the door has a slam lock. You can let yourself out when you're ready." He ran a hand through my hair and kissed me on the forehead. "Make yourself at home. I left you some breakfast in the oven."

"Thank you," I smiled, watching him let himself out. "Have a nice day, honey."

"I'll try, sugar."

I smiled until the door closed, my heart breaking. I laid my head on the counter, lost in my own thoughts until a phone started ringing. I slid out of my seat and searched around for the phone until I found it sitting on an end table. It stopped ringing the moment I approached. I had barely cleared the couch when it started ringing again.

"Ain't nobody got time for this bullshit," I muttered picking up the phone because I wasn't about to be spammed all morning. "Hello?"

The other end of the line was silent for a beat. "Who the fuck is this?"

"Well who the fuck is this?" I barked back. "You called my phone so I get to ask the questions."

"Savant always knew how to pick the loudest bitch in the pack," dude muttered. In a louder voice he said, "Yo, put Savant on the fucking phone."

"I'm not doing a damn thing for you, especially if you don't know how to ask nicely. So eeeent, try again," I shot back.

"I'mma take it that he ain't there because that's the only way you'd be this fucking brave. When he gets back tell him that his brother called."