xxv. TRIAGE INTERNAL

Start from the beginning

          For the three werewolves in the room, the sound of Blake's arrival came before the sight. Her heels clicked against the floor behind the door, the stench of her perfume beginning to creep in and permeate the air. Carson could hear her breath pick up speed, a sign that Jennifer was more than likely working herself up before she let Derek lay eyes on her. The key to lying was that the truth needed to be hidden in the details, that an act had to put on for who heard the lies.

          (Another key to lying was that the other person shouldn't know the truth beforehand, but unfortunately for Jennifer, the teenage trio had already beaten her to the punch.)

          But the unknowing Darach, once her heart rate became erratic, flung open the door to Derek's loft, a terrified look casted over her features. From where Carson could see, she was playing the role of damsel in distress fairly well. She rushed down the two steps that opened up to the open floor of the loft.

          "Derek?" she cried out, rushing to the center of the room, eyes flitting around, trying to see through the darkness. "Derek, where are you?"

          Lightning struck outside, illuminating the room for a brief second as Derek stepped out from where he had been hiding. It took everything the alpha had in him not to try and rip her head off. He tried to remain cool, keeping an expressionless face on as he addressed her. "Right here."

          "Thank God," Jennifer sighed as she locked eye on him, relief filling her face. She rushed forward, throwing her arms around his neck, while the wolf wrapped his own arms around her waist. They hugged each other close, an act that made Stiles's tighten his grip on Carson's hand as they stood silent amongst the shadows. Jennifer finally pulled back, but kept one hand entwined with Derek's as she began to speak. Her voice was shaking and Carson had to give her props — the bitch knew how to act. "Something happened at the recital. At the school. Okay, I need to tell you before you hear it . . . before you hear any of it from them."

          Derek feigned confusion. He furrowed his brow ever so slightly, asking, "From who?"

          "Scott, Stiles, Carson," the brunette answered, tone still rather shaky. God, she was really milking her frightened oh my, I'm just an unsuspecting English teacher tone. "They're gonna tell you things. Things you can't believe. You have to trust me, okay? You trust me."

          "What is it?" Derek questioned, eyes staring at her innocently.

          "Promise you'll listen to me," Blake practically begged, her body shuddering as she tried to drive her lies home.

          "I promise." But that was a lie. Derek knew the truth and that showed in the uptick of his heart rate, one only Scott and Carson could hear.

          To the dark druid, she saw nothing but faith in the eyes of the wolf in front of her, faith that made her lunge forward slightly, placing her lips on his. She kissed him with passion, Derek grabbing her waist as she did so. But her lips began to still as she realized something. Derek wasn't kissing back — at least, not as enthusiastically as he had before. Her lips were still pressed to his as everything began to fall into place for her. Derek didn't believe her, for he already knew.

          "They're already here, aren't they?" Jennifer asked as she pulled back, eyes darkening like the storm outside. A frown settled onto her lips. Derek didn't reply, only glancing over her shoulder. Blake turned around just in time to see Scott, Stiles, and Carson step out into the open from behind the wall they had been hiding behind. Jennifer took a breath, glancing down at her hands before she looked back up at Derek. "So they told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?"