Chapter 1

"Skyyyyy-werrrr! Wake up! You're gonna be late!" I wake up to my little brother Damon jumping up and down on my bed and screaming. I look at my alarm clock: 6:40 AM. I have twenty minutes to get to the bus stop.

"Shit," I say under my breath.

"Heyyyy! You said a bad word!" Damen yells, pointing angrily at me.

"Sorry, little man," I smile and ruffle his white blonde hair. My brother is only four years old, and he's absolutely adorable. He folds his arms, pouting. I make a puppy dog face and say, "Please forgive me?" He smiles and bear hugs me, planting a sticky kiss on my cheek.

"Thank you, " I say, kissing his forehead. "Now go eat breakfast!"

When he leaves, I get out of my pajamas and put on black skinnies, a Pierce The Veil shirt with the Collide With The Sky design on it, and my purple Vans. I plug in my straightner. Thank god I have short hair, I think. When I'm finished, I apply a thick layer of eyeliner. After, I study my reflection: straight black hair, tall, thick eyeliner, and slightly pale skin. I smile. It's 6:50.

I go to the kitchen and grab a breakfast bar and walk out the door.

Once I get to school, the torment starts almost immediately. I'm tripped on my way in, and someone accidentally-on-purpose shoves me into a locker. Greeeaaattt, I think, rolling my eyes. I get my books for Algebra 1. When I get to Algebra, we're learning about negative exponents. Or something. To be honest, I tend to space out during this class. Halfway through the period, I'm partially asleep when Alexis, the girl who sits next to me, gives me a note. I raise my eyebrows and Alexis points to Christy, the most popular girl in our grade. She smirks and wiggles her fingers in my direction. This can't be good, I think, and sigh. Christy and I used to be best friends. We were inseperable. We did everything together. Sleep overs, class feild trips, Girl Scouts; at one point, we went to California together. Then, in the middle of sixth grade, she got in with the cool crowd. She dyed her brown hair blonde, only shopped at expensive designer stores, and dropped all her old friends. Except me . She was friends with me longer than anyone else, so instead, she tried to change me. But I didn't want to change, so she dropped me, too. She and her friends have been tormenting me ever since. They made up rumors and got the majority of the school to turn on me. Only one person stood by me the entire time: my best friend Max. She and I met in seventh grade, when we both wore the same Blink 182 shirt.

I slowly unfold Christy's note, careful not to attract Mr. Giokowski's attention.

Hey freak, smell that? You're stinking up the room. No one wants you here,you worthless whore.

-Christy <3

I feel my face heat up as Christy and her three followers snicker. Ten minutes later, an annoyed looking Alexis gives me another note.

Who'd you sleep with this week? I hear Marcus Evans will do anything you want for $10.

-Christy <3

My eyes well up with tears. Why won't they just leave me alone? I didn't do anything to them. What happened to the sweet, bubbly Christy I knew since pre-school?

I think back to my ninth birthday party. Christy and I had sat side by side as I blew out my birthday candles.

As everyone clapped, Christy had leaned closer to me and said, "What's that? On the cake?" When I put my head closer to the cake, she had taken a piece and shoved it in my face,laughing, which had started a big cake fight.

The sound of laughter brings me out of my flashback. I blink back the tears and throw the note in my bag. It's time to stop living in the past and face reality. My best friend Christy is gone, gone, gone.

I get through second period Engish, and Max and I pass notes in Spanish. At lunch, I order a chicken patty, and the lunch lady gives me mashed potatoes and gravy on the side. I walk towards the table with the utensils and napkins. Suddenly, someone shoves me, and I fall to the ground, gravy in my hair and ketchup all over my shirt. My head smacks off the ground, and tears automatically spring to my eyes from the pain. I'm surrounded by laughter. I look up, and through the tears in my eyes I see Christy and her large group of preps. Christy crouches down next to me, so close I can smell her Chanel perfume.

"You have something on your face, whore, "she says, "Actually, it's kind of an improvement."

She gets up and leads her friends away. Max helps me up and takes me to the bathroom, leaving the laughing cafeteria behind. Thankfully, no one is in the bathroom.

"Are you okay?" Max asks, concerned. I mean to say yes, but a strangled sob escapes me. Max hugs me, and tears start rolling down my cheeks. We don't say anything, we just hug eachother.

" Come on. Let's get you cleaned up," Max says a little while later. We silently get most of the gravy out of my hair,but my shirt is ruined. Max goes to her locker to get a spare shirt while I wait in the bathroom and wash my face. I hear familiar laughter outside the door.

Oh no, I think. Christy and her group walk in and stop dead in their tracks, looking at me like I'm something that a dog left behind on the sidewalk.

"Ew," one of Christy's friends-Giovanna, maybe?-says.

"Since when do they let disgusting dogs use public bathrooms?" another friend says. I wash my hands and look at the sink.

"I'm not a dog," I mumble. Christy comes forward, close enough to touch me.

"Really? Because you sure look like one," she says with an evil smirk. "I always knew you were a bitch." Her friends laugh.

"What did I ever do to you?" I ask, getting mad. "What happened to us being best friends?" Christy looks disgusted at the thought.

"You turned into a freak, that's what happened," she spits nastily at me.

"Whatever," I say, and try to get around her and her stupid clique. She pushes me back.

"No," Christy says angrily, "You're gonna get what you deserve, you emo freak." She throws a punch, and my nose is gushing blood. My hand flies to my face as she shoves me into the wall. Everyone pushes in closer, laughing. I should fight back. I have to. But I can't. Her fist flies again, and this time she hits my mouth. I cough and spit blood on the white tiled floor.

"Look, she won't even fight back," Christy laughs. She pulls back her fist for another punch, and I flinch. The girls laugh hysterically. Max walks in.

"Hey!" she screams, " Leave Skyler alone or I'll go get Ms. Novak!" That seems to work. Everyone is afraid of Ms. Novak, even soulless bitches like Christy.

"Fine, " Christy sneers. She leans in close and whispers, "Tell anyone, and this will happen to you and Max everyday until the end of the year." No. They can't touch Max. I guess I can't tell anyone. I'll have to deal with it on my own.