Chapter 37

Rory is released from the hospital in the early hours of Friday. We all went home when we made sure Rory was completely okay. Only Braden stayed with her, even though he was still very much tired from his trip to Norway that he had to cut short.

He wasn't complaining, though.

They came to my flat, I heard, but I haven't seen them. I was too tired in the afternoon so I just took a nap when I came back from work. I also haven't talked to Aaron much today and I didn't want to think about it too much because then it would start to bother me.

On Saturday, Rory phones me to come by Braden's apartment. No, she demanded I come, otherwise she's going to do something crazy.

And who am I to deny her? I had to get out of my pyjama first, though. Aaron didn't call or text me. I sent him a message before, asking what he's doing today because I wanted to hang out, but he didn't answer.

I arrive in front of Braden's flat complex and when I come to the elevator, I meet Lily, arguing with a man.

"No, my friend lives up there and she called me to visit. What kind of fuckery is this?"

I step to them, a smile on my face. "Josh, hi, she's with me. Let us up," I tell the bodyguard that's only doing his job.

Lily looks at me and then smiles. "Brooke! So nice to see you. Did Rory call you too?"

"Yeah. She said she'll go crazy if I don't come by. My brother left for Norway again and left her all alone." I sigh. Although I can understand that Braden has a very important business to do. He had to drop everything and fly back home when Rory was injured so he has to repair the damage that's been done.

Lily snickers. "Men."

I scoff. "Tell me about it."

We go up and step out into the luxury of Braden's apartment. I'm used to the sight that greets me. Lily, however, is completely taken aback. She looks around, whistling. "I thought the outside of the building is going to throw me on the butt, but nothing could prepare me for this," she says admiringly.

Rory chuckles, coming to greet us. "It really is something," she says.

Lily goes in further and the moment she sees the view from the living room windows, she lets out a loud gasp, her step faltering. "Oh, dear God," she breathes, clutching her chest with her hand. She goes to stand by the windows, looking at the city down below.

"I know, right?" I decide to speak. "I want to take a picture, frame it and hang it on the wall just right when you step through the door so everyone could see it."

Rory smiles at the both of us. "I wouldn't mind seeing this view for the rest of my life," Rory says wistfully.

Lily looks at her over her shoulder and I give Rory a knowing look. "Well, judging by how things are going, your wish might come true ..." I trail off.

Rory looks down and blushes violently.

I grunt. "Oh, don't be modest!" I gush. "Did he say it?"

Rory blushes even harder.

"Say what?" Lily questions, not following us.

"That he loves her," I say.

Lily's eyes widen. "The last time we spoke you told me you two weren't even dating!" she accuses. "What changed?"

Rory sighs. "Oh, Lils ..." She pats the space on the couch beside her. "Sit down. I have a lot of things to tell you that you missed out."

And so Rory tells her everything happening between my brother and her. I add a few things here and there, otherwise I just make faces along the story, thinking about what an idiot my brother can actually be.