Chapter 12

"There won't be any wedding. I'm sorry for your wasted time. It seems like the bride has changed her mind. Thank you." I swallow the bitter taste that formed in my mouth down.

I walk after my brother. But before I can find him, Damien comes after me and stops me. "Brooke, what the hell is going on?" he wonders.

I intertwine my hands together in front of me. When I told my brother the news, I felt a part of him slowly dying inside. I saw his look, that hurt, distant look with a straight face, battling with his emotions. It made me want to kill Victoria Bertley. "It seems like my brother's fiancée went away this morning with another man and forgot to tell us."

Damien's eyes are wide. "Oh, fuck." The priest looks at him in alarm. "Sorry." Damien gives him a charming smile. He grabs my elbow and leads me to the corner so we have more privacy.

"Look, I'm sorry I brought you here with me and you have to deal with this, but I need to go be with my brother now. I believe he's completely crushed. You can go home and I'll come home later and we can talk then," I explain to Damien, barely keeping myself together.

Damien looks concerned now. "I could wait for you, it would be no problem."

I shake my head and touch his arm. "Thank you. But I don't know how long it'll take. Besides, he doesn't know you so I don't think he'd be comfortable by you seeing him like that."

Damien nods in understanding. He suddenly shrugs off his jacket and wraps it around my shoulders, letting his hands rest on them for a few moments. "Give me a call when you come back. Or better yet, come to my flat."

I give him a short nod. Damien leans down and kisses my cheek, squeezing my shoulder. "You sure you'll be okay?" he asks.

I chuckle. "Yes, I am going to be fine," I reassure him.

Damien grins and puts his finger under my chin, flicking it softly, playfully. He leans down. "See you later, Aligator," he says with a grin. He nonchalantly pecks my lips, like it's the most normal thing for him to do. Like we're a couple.

He leaves me standing there, shocked and confused. And so, so happy. Until I remember why I am where I am and remind myself that this is not a day for my happiness and that this will have to wait. I have to focus on my brother today. 

I go search for him. It doesn't really take me long because I knew he needed some time alone to think this through and I knew there's only one place in this church he could possibly go to. 

I find him sitting on the chair in a crouched position, his head in his palms. He's completely alone. It tears me to see him like that. The one person who I know deserves nothing but happiness.

I sit down by him and wrap my hands around him awkwardly. He doesn't move, he doesn't even acknowledge my presence. "She was a bitch anyway," I whisper into his shoulder.

Braden lets out a sad, broken chuckle. "God, Brooke ... I ... I don't know why she did it. I can't come up with any answers. I thought she loved me. I ... I really thought she was happy with me ... that she wanted to build a future with me. God," he's ranting. He leans back against the chair, looking up at the ceiling. 

I see he's got red eyes and I also see he's holding back his tears. I know he won't let himself cry. Because he's a man who's too proud. At least he's talking to me about it. 

"I know, Braden. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. Maybe God's giving you another chance because he's planning to send you someone who's going to love you the way you deserved to be loved," I try to reassure him, but I know I can't say anything right now to make this situation better. He's hurt.