"What you doin' in here all by yourself? In case you ain't noticed, the party's outside."

I turned to Chandra, who was smiling and holding a red solo cup. She gave a slight frown when she saw my expression. She gestured to the couch and I obliged, taking a seat as she sat onto the cushion next to me.

"What's up wit' you 'Nelle? Where's ya friend?"

I looked down, playing with my fingers before sighing and looking up at the ceiling.

"He left."

She stared at me, waiting for an explanation. When I didn't offer one, she spoke, after taking a sip of whatever was in her cup. Knowing her, it was nothing less than liquor.

"Is everything okay? Why'd he just up and leave?" She raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"I broke up with him. He actually took it pretty well...."

She offered me her cup and I debated with myself before taking it and chugging the rest of the substance. A burning sensation enveloped my throat, proving my previous assumptions to be correct. I sighed in satisfaction, handing the cup back to her. She chuckled lightly before giving me a stank face.

"Damn, bitch. I offered you a sip, not the whole communion."

I laughed, relaxing into the couch.

"So you broke up with him...."

I nodded.

"And he took it well...."

I nodded once again and Chandra threw her hands up in confusion.

"Then please fill me in, cause I don't see the problem. Unless you regret your choice?"

I shook my head. Before I could respond, a smirk developed on her face.

"August."

I frowned. Was it really that obvious?

"I just don't know, Chandra. One minute, I love him and can't imagine life without his ass, and the next i'm plotting ways to make his death look like an accident."

Chandra chuckled, rubbing my back.

"Girl, that's nothing but love. I felt the same way about..."

She paused, and looked away. There was no need for her to continue; we both knew she was speaking of Mel. She rubbed my back before standing.

"Just talk to him. Ant's stubborn as hell, but he loves you."

I nodded, and sighed as she disappeared towards the back of the house, probably returning to the barbeque. I stood, taking a deep breath and following suit. There was no use in me being cooped up inside while everyone else was enjoying each other's company.

I made my way to the back yard, smiling as a few people greeted me. It was beginning to darken, but the party didn't appear to be ending anytime soon. The aroma of BBQ lingered through the air as I made my way over to Mama, who was waving at me from a distance.

"Where you been, Nelly? I been lookin' all over for you."

I smiled, glancing around.

"Y'all really went all out with this one, Ma."

She rose her eyebrow at my sudden change of conversation, but didn't question it.

"When have you ever known me to throw a side-ways party?"

I laughed and looked down as I felt a tug on my sun dress. A half asleep Amali held her arms up. Obliging, I picked her up, allowing for her to rest her head on my shoulder. Neither her or Mel were used to staying up this late, and I knew i'd have to take them home soon. Before I could announce my dismissal, August appeared next to Mama, cradling a sleeping Mel. It was actually quite ironic if you ask me. I almost smiled at the sight; it was adorable.