xxx. ━━ prayers for the lost

Start from the beginning

But it wasn't the bodies clad in cloths that caught her attention first— no the smell of death lingered in the air.

The bodies were linned up against the wall, their decaying bodies rotting while the war continued around them. No time for a proper burial, no proper ways to say goodbye to loved ones.

There was only time to survive now.

Erin inched closer to her brother as Alex too, let his eyes wander around the people wrapped in sheets. The two Benton's silently communicating through their eyes when they locked gazes again.

"We have a mass grave a few blocks west, but I can't spare the man power to move them yet." The dark skinned woman informed them softly, like talking about them was clawing her up on the inside.

Erin respected the woman for that, that she despite all the losses she edured marched on with a brave face.

"Hospital is passed that curtain." The Commander pointed ahead before looking back over her shoulder. "Any hope you can give them, it's worth it. The Capitol has done everything they can to break us."

"Luckily despite the pressure we're not that easily forced to our knees anymore." Erin spoke up softly, giving Katniss a small smile. "Our hope is too strong."

Commander Paylor gave her a small smile accomponied by a nod before she focused back ahead. "That indeed." She replied.

"Aren't you worried about having all your wounded around in one place?" Gale wondered out loud.

"I think it's better than leaving them to die."

"That's not what I meant." Gale clarified himself quickly, a somber look on his face as he looked around.

"Well that's my only other option." Paylor told them solemnly. "You can come up with another, I'm all ears."

Erin's breath hitched in her throat when Paylor pushed the cuttain aside to reveal the people that were left after the bombing. The sight alone made her sick and her eyes glazed over. The whole area was filled with people, sitting on nothing more than the cold stone ground, trashed up blanket or mattress.

Erin's heart was aching as she watched all the wounded scattered around the hall, waiting, praying for relief some sort of relief now that the suffering became so hard to bare.

The people looked terrible, hollow cheeks and prominet black circles under their eyes with broken or missing limbs. It looked like the skin on their bodies was only hanging on by a small thread.

People were crying barely breathing and on the brink of death, eduring agonizing pain throughout the day.

Erin locked eyes with Katniss both girls sending messages through their eyes. Even though they may not have known each other that long they formed the strongest bond.

The look on Katniss' face was very easy to read for Erin. The Girl on Fire didn't know what to do. She was unsure amd her body language was easily deciphered by the brunette.

"Don't film me in there, I can't help them." Katniss spoke up, her eyes glazed over as she looked around.

"Just let them see your face." Cressida replied but the Girl On Fire remained rooted on her spot relucant to step further in the room.

Erin stepped forward grabbing ahold of Katniss' hand giving the raven haired girl a gentle and reassuring squeeze. "You can do this Katniss." She whispered softly, not wanting the other to hear their conversation.

"I can't help them Erin." Katniss looked away from the wounded people to look at Erin's hazel eyes, that showed compassion and fear. Like she was feeling the weight of all these people on her shoulders.

"You already helped them Katniss." Erin spoke softly casting a quick gaze over her shoulder to see the others preparing to film, not giving in to Katniss' uncertainty at the moment. "You sparked something we all haven't seen in years Katniss. You gave us hope, why do you think they're still fighting for their lives in here?"

"Because they don't want to die Erin." Katniss sighed.

"No in the times we live in, death is easy, it living that is hard." Erin replied her eyes locked with Katniss. "These people are fighting in any way they can because they believe there will be a better tomorrow, a better life in the future."

"And why would they think that." The raven haired girl whispered harshly. "Look at them, this doesn't look promising this looks like hell."

"Hope is what keeps them going." Erin stated with a small smile. "You've ignited a fire, all we have to do is fan the flames."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬