° 0.5 °

••••

~ P r E l U d E ~

••••

↪♣↩

I remember when I first met him.

He was one of those souls that you'd remember for all your life, if you catch what I mean.

But, if given the chance, I'd go back in time and change it.

It was only fair, since my life is the way it is now, because I met him.

↪♣↩

// Nine years earlier,

Eight years old //

↪♣↩

"Judy," My father pulled me from behind his legs where I hid, "this is one of my old college buddies, Lorna."

Ten simple words, yet they had a huge role to play in my story.

No, Lorna was not my current stepmom, in fact, she remained just that; an old college buddy to my dad.

The problem was, sadly, how fate played out. After college, Lorna had eloped with her then boyfriend (another one of dad's 'old buddies') and was never heard of since.

Well since now.

Surprise, surprise. The relationship didn't last long and Lorna returned back home; to our town. And moved right back into her old home.

Don't get me wrong, Lorna had been the closest thing to a mother figure I had, but when Lorna returned she brought back more than just fragments of bittersweet memories from an inevitable love story- but also a child.

August Miller.

And that's the center of my bittersweet story.

August Miller has always been a mystery to me, and not the type that made me wander.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The first time I actually saw August was about a week after they had moved next door.

I was on the front porch listening to my grandfather who was telling me stories about his military days when the ringing of a bicycle bell sounded.

It was only a matter of time when the scrawny 8 year old appeared in sight. His jet black hair was dip dyed blue and he wore a nose ring. It wasn't hard to miss the old fashioned guitar slinged across his back as he pulled into their driveway and disappeared out of sight.

My mother used to always say, "Old people are a good judge of character."

Little did I know that when grandfather shook his head and muttered, "That boy is trouble", he was actually telling the truth.

But nevertheless, I tried to distance myself from the weird boy next door.

And I was doing grand until he showed up at my bedroom window.

"Come with me." He begged, trying his best to not slide off of our roof.

I eyed him ridiculously. "Why?"

He smiled.

Gosh, even though my hormones weren't fully activated at that age, I knew it was special.

"Cause I'm going to have fun."

I hesitated and glanced at the clock. It was blinking 10 pm on the dot. "You know, if you want, you can always play with me, Heather and the guys?"

He shook his head. "I'm talking about real fun."

Sensing my disapproval, he sighed and made an attempt to leave. "Its okay if you don't want to come, goodnight Judy."

That's when I broke.

"August, wait!"

He stopped and looked at me, a victorious smile forming on his lips.

"But only for tonight."

And I joined him.

Turned out, that night I had the best time of my life.

And in the morning, things returned to normal.

And we never spoke again.

↪♣↩

••••

~ T h E. a R t. O f. G e T t I n G. l O s T ~

••••

Started: 8th June, 2017.

Published: 23rd June, 2017

🌑

|C O P Y R I G H T S|

Copyright ©2017 by Nicasi Kissoon/ __quaintedheart.
.All Rights Reserved.

This book or any portion of this book thereof should not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission by the author except for brief quotations in a book review. Any infringement of copyright is punishable by law.

▪▪

Dedicated to my best friend .XxDemonic_AngelxX for putting up with all the drafts and forcing me to publish.

I love you, shams.

Cover in mm made by -candieddreams

🌑