Carnations for my Warning

Start from the beginning

She signaled you to sit down on one of the mint green armchairs. Complying, you watched as she set down the tea, offering you a cup. Taking it, you thanked her, as she took her own cup. The bone china cup had delicate pink flowers covering it, while a silver trim decorated the beautiful tea cup. When the beverage hit your tongue, a soft smile graced your lips. Memories of how you used to sit in this room and study over worrying exams filled your mind. Hannah and you would almost never actually study, but end up just playing Mario Kart on her Wii with you always scoring first place.

"____, you shouldn't have just kept Annalisa and I waiting like that. We had to get frozen yogurt without you".

Again her words surprised you. They were so specific that it made you think you weren't in a dream. Could Lucian's magic have failed and they only pretended to forget, yet if that were the case why hadn't they tried to come and get you? It didn't make any sense. If this were a dream, why did if feel so real? Moreover, why did Hannah have a slight difference in her voice?

Hesitantly, you asked, "Hannah how were you expecting me? What's going on?".

"What do you mean? _____, stop joking with me. Of course I was expecting you. After you ditched Annalisa and me, I knew that you would show up sooner or later. You always did like my tea, so I knew you would come back. Now tell me why you ditched us".

Her words stung you. You hadn't 'ditched' them, they were the ones who were going to leave you behind if you didn't enter Lucian's mansion with them. Even if you were dreaming, you still felt hurt. It was like your own mind was working against you, trying to make you feel guilty for ever leading your friends to the mansion. Lucian would've eventually chased after you if you hadn't gone into his mansion willingly. You were the one who cast aside the last day of your school year into oblivion, you were the one who decided to spend the last day with your friends in a sorcerer's mansion where they would forever lose their memories of you. Thus you found yourself unable to counter her statement.

"Sorry, I guess I really just didn't want frozen yogurt," you said, realizing how stupid your statement sounded.

"I see, you know I'm not going to buy that excuse ____, though if you don't want to tell me that's fine to. We all have our secrets".

"Thanks for understanding Hannah" you said, staring into your cup of tea.

She nodded before replying, " Of course, though I expect a favor out of you, since you ditched me".

"What is it?" you questioned, seeing something odd flash through her eyes, like they had almost changed color for a moment.

Likewise, you thought it odd that Hannah was asking a favor of you. She never did such a thing; she would always forgive you before ruffling your hair a bit. Thus you waited to see what favor she had to ask of you, curious as to what words would leave her mouth.

"Come with me to Annalisa's house and stay there with us. She'll be happy to see you".

"Why would we need to stay at her house? Surely you mean just visit, since we have homes of our own".

Something was definitely off with her. Your suspicion was confirmed when you saw her hands grip the teacup tightly in the palm of your hands until it broke in her hands. The pieces of glass dug into her skin while others collided with the floor below. She didn't even seem bothered by the fact that there was glass in her hands while her own blood dripped from her hands. Moreover, the carnations in the vase were starting to slowly die and turn grey, as if the illusion of this being Hannah's home was fading.

"No, I mean stay there. Her house was always the nicest, wouldn't you agree _____? Now tell me that you'll do this favor for me".

You only looked at her with worry ridden eyes.

Setting down your teacup, you stated, "Hannah your hands are bleeding and you're showing no concern over your wounds. What's wrong and why are you suddenly asking a favor of me? You've never done that before".

This seemed to trigger something in her. Quickly, she grabbed some napkins from the tray and wiped away the blood on her hands after pulling out the glass pieces.

"I'm sorry, ____; I just haven't seen you in awhile and I was so worried. Please, let's just go see Annalisa".

Her sudden change in attitude only worried you more, but your worry was soon being replaced with fear. This was definitely not Hannah; she would never change her personality so drastically. Getting out of the armchair, you merely thanked her for the tea before stating that you had to leave. When you stated that you were leaving, her eyes narrowed while an ominous aura surrounded her.

"Oh, but you must come ____, or do you not want to visit your friend?".

"I'm sorry, but I must go".

Quickly, you went for the doorknob and threw the door open, running back onto the fog covered road. Hannah walked out of her house following you. Her light blue tennis shoes made little to no sound, as she exited the house and came onto the street. By this point she wore a frightening grin on her face, as she kept calling out after you. Seeing this twisted form of friend, you wanted nothing more than to get out of this weird dream-like world. You didn't want to remember your friend as some psychotic individual; you desired to remember her like she was before you came to Lucian's mansion. As you ran down the street with Hannah following you, you wondered why you had to keep being tortured with twisted representations of your friends.