assembly

xu minghao

"damn, he's tall," bambam said under his breath, causing everyone to turn and look at him. "wait, did i say that out loud?" he asked, chuckling nervously and scratching the back of his neck.

"just shut up while you're ahead, bam," minghao mumbled, rolling his eyes.

"okay."

minghao got down from the bed to greet their new cabinmate. "hi, i'm minghao. um, xu minghao." he pointed to the boy with the skinny legs who made the outburst a minute prior. "that's bambam." a boy with black hair laying on his back on the bed. "that's jaehyun." and a boy who was laying down on a top bunk, already fast asleep. "and, that's jungkook." he sighed.

"who are you?" jaehyun said, now sitting up.

"oh," the boy said softly, sitting down on the bed that he put his bags in front of. "i'm kim mingyu."

"someone wake junglecock up," minghao said. jaehyun looked up and squinted at him before shaking his head and going to shake the boy awake.

jungkook groaned, starting to wake up. "what do you want, jaehyun?" he said, groggily.

"minghao wanted me to wake you up," he mumbled, fixing the younger's hair a bit.

jungkook gently moved jaehyun's hand out of the way. he looked past the older and glared at minghao. "what, bitch?"

bambam snickered to himself while minghao spoke up. "one of our cabinmates just got here, don't be rude."

jungkook looked up at the unfamiliar boy and smiled a bit. "hey, i'm jungkook. and you are?"

"mingyu."

"cute name for a cute boy. now, if you don't mind, i'll go back to sleep now."

minghao rolled his eyes and smiled. "fine." he walked over to the bed jaehyun was standing on and sat down, jaehyun following suit. he rested his head on the older's shoulder and sighed softly. "this is gonna be a good summer."

---

"hey, hey. wake up."

minghao jolted awake when he felt someone's hand on his back and grabbed it. he didn't recognize the person's voice. he turned to face whoever it was and saw that it was one of the older campers.

the boy sat up on the bed and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. he didn't know how long he was asleep, but it must've been a while since everyone had left the cabin and there was a new bag in the room, from the new cabinmate.

"thanks," minghao said, looking up at the boy. he smiled, pushing his blond hair out of his face and leaned back against one of the bunk beds.

"no problem," the older said. "did nobody try waking you up or something?"

minghao shrugged. "i don't know, i'm a hard sleeper. but, um," he started, "who are you?"

"i'm minki," he said as minghao stood up. "the others already told me that your name is minghao."

"ah, okay," minghao said, slipping on his shoes and walking to the door. "let's go together."

the two left out, minki closing the door behind the two of them, and headed over to the middle of the campground. the director was already speaking front and center in front of the crowd of boys and girls when they got there. minki introduced the younger to two of his friends, sohee and wonwoo, whole they waited for the 'speech' to be over.

"when can we leave?" sohee complained. "they have so much food in the mess hall, and it's good food, and i'm hungry."

"oh shut up and stop complaining," wonwoo said, rolling his eyes. he was met with a quick punch in the arm and he looked at the other in shock.

"you must be forgetting i'm the older one here," sohee said, clutching her hand with a wince before shaking it. "that really hurt, though."

"big baby," minki laughed, but when he was met with sohee's glare, he quieted down quickly.

minghao stayed awkwardly silent the entire time, chuckling a bit, but not enough to draw attention from the others. he felt wonwoo nudge his arm with his elbow.

"hey," the older said. "lighten up a bit. you can't be that quiet. i mean, you're going to camp pledis, where-"

"anyone can do anything," minghao said alongside him, cracking a small smile and nudging him back. "i know. it's just, gonna take some getting used to, that's all. more people than last year."

"there aren't a lot of people this year..." wonwoo said, looking at the crowd.

"it's a small camp, okay." they both laughed and minki and sohee looked at them in confusion before returning to their own conversation.

"so, what are you here for? i mean, since this is a camp for the arts," minghao asked, putting on a fake posh accent at the end of his sentence and chuckling.

"photography and filmography," wonwoo answered, "and a bit of dance. maybe rap or music theory. you?"

"you sure are the gifted type, huh?" the younger joked and wonwoo cracked a smile. "i'm here for dance and art. not the most exciting thing, but it's worth it."

"i might see you in some of my lessons then, huh?" wonwoo asked, looking at the other. he replied with a small "yeah," and the two turned their attention back to the others when sohee cleared her throat.

"sir talks-a-lot is over now, so can we go get some food?" she asked.

minghao looked around to see that about half, or even more, of the crowd had left to head towards the mess hall. he smiled, a bit awkwardly, and nodded his head.

"yeah, let's go," wonwoo said, throwing his arm around minghao's shoulder as they started heading towards the building.

minghao's face heated up from the sudden contact. he hoped that nobody would notice that his face was suddenly turning a soft hue of pink, it wasn't that noticeable though, so-

"hey, you good?" wonwoo asked, looking at him as they walked. "you look kinda flushed."

"oh, i'm good," minghao assured him. "it's just hot out here."

he saw his cabinmates out of the corner of his eye and tried hiding his face without it being too obvious. he knew jungkook would say something when he saw wonwoo and minghao so close, knowing how the boy was after about six years of being friends with him.

but, as it usually always turns out, it was too late.

"get some, minghao!" he heard jungkook yell, and everyone's attention turned towards one of the two boys, minghao and jungkook. "yeeeaaahhh!" he finished, giving a thumbs up before running to catch back up with his group, since he had slowed down and stopped.

minghao held a hand against his forehead and brought it down to pinch the bridge of his nose. sohee and minki laughed and wonwoo looked back over to minghao.

"interesting friend you got there."

"oh, yes," minghao mumbled. "quite."