drop off

kim mingyu

"mingyu! i'm gonna miss you."

boa hugged her older brother tightly, not wanting him to leave from beside the car. mingyu chuckled softly and hugged her back with one arm and reached for one of his duffel bags with the other.

"it's only two months. not even that long," he said. he looked down at her head that rested against his thighs.

"boa," their mother spoke, getting out of the car and walking over to their side of the car to help mingyu with his bags. "you need to let him go so he can get his things."

"but mom," the younger whined, and mingyu laughed aloud as he bent down to take her arms from around his legs.

"no buts," she said, cutting her daughter off. "now can you help us carry some of the stuff?"

mingyu shook his head, concerned that boa wouldn't be able to carry any of his bags. "mom, i can do it, she doesn't need to carry anything."

boa picked up one of the duffel bags and heaved it up to her chest, wrapping her arms around it to carry it. "i got it," she said, almost wheezing, and started waddling towards who she thought was a councelor.

mingyu and his mother finished grabbing everything else before locking the car doors and catching up with boa. she was busy talking to the boy she had walked over to. he was smiling and nodding at what the young girl was saying and replied to her with interest. his brown hair hung over his eyes, but not too much so that you couldn't see them glint as he spoke.

mingyu's mom spoke up, catching his attention. "hello, are you a councelor here?"

the boy looked up at the two and smiled, shaking his head. "no, i'm just a regular old camper." he giggled - how cute, mingyu thought - and moved his hair so that it didn't obstruct his face. "i can show you to one, though."

"that'll be great," she said, before glancing at her watch. "mingyu, i gotta go take boa to my parents' place. i'm sorry, but i have to go."

"it's okay, mom," mingyu said, smiling even though he didn't want her to leave yet. "i'll tell seungcheol you said hi."

"alright. come on, boa, we have to leave," she called to her daughter, and the family said their goodbyes before the two females headed back to their car.

boa turned around and smiled, waving. "bye, mingyu! bye, jisoo!"

the two boys waved back, and mingyu turned to the other. "jisoo, huh? i'm mingyu," he said, sticking out his hand.

jisoo shook his hand and smiled. "nice to meet you." he adjusted the strap of his guitar case and pointed to the bags that his mom and sister left. "you need any help with those?"

"yeah, thanks," mingyu said, picking one up and putting the strap to cross with the strap of the other bag on his chest so that there was one bag on each side of his body, and jisoo picked up the other one.

"you packed kinda heavy," jisoo said with a chuckle as they started to walk towards the center of the camp where the councelors and campers were, along with the cabin assignments.

mingyu smiled. "yeah, kind of realize that now," he said as he swept his eyes over the other teenagers around him, each of them only having one or two bags.

they reached the poles with the cabin assignments and scanned for their names, a few boys and girls already there.

"i'm in... 5-a," jisoo said and stepped back a bit so that others could see where they were sleeping.

"i'm in 7-a," mingyu said, turning to face the older. "so, are all the boys in the a cabins and the girls in the b cabins?"

"yeah." jisoo said, pointing at the two rows of cabins on opposite sides of the campground as they headed to the one on the right. "there's a. there's b. so that we don't 'do anything stupid'," he said, rolling his eyes.

mingyu laughed, grabbing the other bag from jisoo once they got to the cabins. "i'll see you at the assembly later."

"alright, bye mingyu."

the boy looked for the cabin with the 7-a sign on the front, and made his way towards it. he heaved up the steps with his bags and heard voices and laughter on the other side of the door. he opened the door and the room became silent. he was met with three pairs of eyes on him (another boy was fast asleep on a top bunk) and he smiled nervously at the group before entering the cabin and setting his stuff in front of one of the bunkbeds with one bed left.

"damn, he's tall," one of the boys said, and everyone turned to him. "wait, did i say that out loud?" he asked, chuckling nervously and scratching the back of his neck.

"just shut up while you're ahead, bam."

"okay."