Approaching Night: Book I of Seluna, by Ilana Waters

Almost everyone is convinced I'm mad. But I'm not sure I believe them.

Seventeen-year-old Seluna doesn't know why she was admitted to an all-female insane asylum called Silver Hill. She doesn't know exactly how she makes inanimate objects come to life. And she can't figure out the reason for the sadistic and brutal experiments on girls here—many of whom are never heard from again.

When Seluna sneaks out to the moonlit, forbidden garden behind Silver Hill, she meets a mysterious boy swimming in a pond. She senses there's a connection between him and what's happening at the asylum, but he's not telling what. Then there are the screams from down long halls and the constant absence of light. No doubt they're all part of the scheme concocted by the merciless head of the facility, Dr. Catron. He's growing more and more frantic and violent in an attempt to find the person—or thing—he's looking for.

Yes, there's a lot Seluna doesn't know about Silver Hill. About why moonlight, madness, and murder are following her. But she needs to find out fast . . . before she becomes the next victim.

(Set in the nineteenth century of an alternate world called Hartlandia, Approaching Night is a YA gothic fantasy).

~*~*~

Chapter One

"Try, Seluna. Just try."

"I am trying! But it's like I told you, Laura: nothing's happening."

"But sometimes, it does."

"Well, now is not one of those times."

I leaned my head against the bottom of the flimsy bed frame. Sitting with my back perpendicular to the center of the mattress, I continued looking at the wooden horse. I didn't know why I couldn't animate it. A glint of moonlight shone through the narrow room's high window onto the horse. As I stared at the toy, I thought I saw it move.

Then a cloud must have passed over the moon, because suddenly, there was very little light in the room. The only other illumination came from the dimmed gas lamps behind both beds, and the tiny window on the door, the one with bars on it. Most of Silver Hill's windows had bars on them.

"Maybe the horse is defective," said Rose. She was on Laura's bed, lying sideways, and leaned over to get a closer look. She brushed curly red hair out of her eyes. It wasn't truly red; I could see the dark roots peeking out from beneath. "Where'd you get it, anyway?" she asked.

"It's my little brother's. He said I could have it to keep me company while . . . while I was away." Tears welled in Laura's eyes. "He really believed it would, too. Of course, he's only three. It was his favorite toy, too."

"Then I'm sure it's not defective," I said firmly. I reached over to where Laura was sitting on the floor, legs crossed, against the other bed. With a reassuring squeeze of her knee, I repeated what I'd told them both before.

"It's true I can animate objects, and temporarily make dead things come to life. But that doesn't mean I can always do it. And when I can't, I'm sure it says more about me than the object itself. So don't fret over it."

"I know." Laura took the horse and moved it up and down with her hand, making it prance on the nightstand between beds. "It's just . . . that's so magical, you know? I'm really keen to see more of it."

I shrugged and adjusted my skirts. I didn't really think of my ability as magic. It wasn't even particularly useful, so I rarely thought about it at all. Although I would have liked to use it to make Laura smile more. When she smiled, it was one of the few times her pale hair and skin didn't make her look like she never saw the sun. Rose's complexion was darker, almost tawny brown. But there was a sallowness there as well, like she could use a holiday.