Fateful Vampires, by Cheri Schmidt and Tristan Hunt

Chapter One - Sand Castles

Northumberland County, England

Bamborough Castle,

Eastern Shore of the North Sea

The Year of Our Lord, 1340

"You'll have to run faster than that!" Beon shouted.

Sophia giggled as she pushed herself, trying to speed up, the feel of sand beneath her feet bringing a smile to her face. As did the mirth she could hear in Beon's voice.

As Sophia ran along the beach, she glanced up at the fortress that was Bamborough Castle, inwardly marveling at how Beon's presence, his dark brown eyes and easy smile, brightened the dark corners of the gloomy castle she'd lived in all her life.

If only Beon could banish the scowl from Father's brow as well, she mused, returning her focus to the beach in front of her. Was it really so taxing to be the Baron of Bamborough? Were Father's duties truly so grim?

Another laugh from Beon let Sophia know how close he was, she squealed and ran harder. If she continued letting moments of distraction slow her down, she would lose the race yet again. Truth be told, she didn't mind losing to Beon.

Today was that rare occasion when Beon, a young page under her father's charge, was able to join her for some sport after completing all of his duties to Sir Lyndon, her father's man-at-arms.

As fast as he was, Beon always won in games of chase. In fact, he won every game they played, but Sophia found she didn't mind at all. There was very little distraction in Bamborough Castle. There was very little warmth within the cold and dim dwelling.

How could such dark eyes be so warm? The light in Beon's brown eyes, flecked with shards of amber, somehow made its way inside the stone walls where even sunshine had no hope of entering. But Beon had, bringing something to the cold chambers that even a fire in the hearth hadn't been able to bring. Sophia had yet to sort what that 'something' was exactly, but even his name was comforting as it rolled off her tongue...it had a musical quality, and Sophia loved to sing. Beon was constantly having to correct people with the pronunciation, which Sophia found amusing. "No, no, it's bee-own," he would say, "with the stress on the second syllable."

Beon was older than Sophia, three years or so, and had been living with her family ever since he came to be fostered under her father's house. Even though it was customary for a boy to leave his home at the age of seven to serve as a page under a knight, Beon had gotten a late start, which made him slightly older than other boys had been. He'd explained that being an only child with his father away at the wars against France, his mother had held him back.

Sophia had met his mother and knew how much she worshiped the lad, showering him with praise and attention. He was quite arrogant as a result. He would tell Sophia himself with his chin jutting to the heavens that there was 'nothing he could not do, and not do well.' What was so infuriating to the other pages and squires who lived in the castle was that his claim proved to be true.

Beon was still considered a boy at ten years old. Sophia knew he would not begin to ignore her until he became a squire at fourteen, so until that time, she would savor the much needed amusement he brought to the castle.

Sensing that Beon had lost interest in his pursuit, Sophia slowed and watched as he veered off toward her younger brother, who was quite a bit faster. They careened toward the foamy waves until the nursemaid shouted them back.

"How many times have I told you to stay away from the water!" she said.

Catching her breath, Sophia plopped down on one of the grassy knags that bordered the beach and gazed at the Farne Islands just off the coast. Even from here, she could see it abuzz with several flocks of birds. Sometimes she could even spot a seal or two. But the birds were her favorite. She could watch them for hours. A gull swooped into view and landed several feet away from her.