#1

Awsten jolted awake and gasped, a cold sweat running down his skin. He choked on a sob and pulled his blanket up to his chin, shaking in terror. He panted hard, coughing on sobs and making himself gag. Every night, at least twice, this would happen.

Awsten never slept.

He checked his phone, the time was 4:52am. He shakily texted Geoff. He lived in the apartment across the hall and he was always checking on his best friend.

Awsten: [4:53] Ggeofff plese ccome plleaae

Geoff: [4:55] I'll be right over

Awsten waited in fear and nervousness, still sobbing and coughing.

Soon enough, Geoff had let himself in and he was pulling Awsten close. "Ssh, Awsten, I'm here." He whispered, holding him in his lap. "I've got you, darlin', it's okay."

Awsten just held onto him and sobbed. He needed to cry, and he needed Geoff. He needed this.

Slowly, very slowly, Awsten calmed down a little. He rested his head down on Geoff's shoulder, sighing shakily. "G-Geoff...need- need you.." he mumbled.

"it's okay, I know I know, I'm here." He promised, kissing his cheek.

It was still dark in the room, so Geoff flicked on a little bedside lamp that he bought Awsten a while ago so he didn't have to be sit in darkness when he woke up.

Geoff turned back to Awsten and gasped, seeing a dark bruise around his eye. He frowned deeply and cupped his face.

"Aws.." He whispered, "what've you done...?"

Awsten shrugged, looking away. "must've happened in my sleep."

"it's a big bruise. It must hurt..." Geoff whispered, "does It? Do you need a cold compress..?" he asked quietly.

Awsten nodded a little, whimpering a little.

Geoff nodded and went to get one.

Awsten could feel the bruise, it was throbbing hard. Awsten had rolled over too violently in his sleep, catching his face on the corner of his bedside table. It hurt and he had woken up because of it, but that wasn't why he was awake now.

Geoff soon returned and brought Awsten into his lap again. He gently pressed a cold face cloth against the younger boy's eye, sighing.

"Aws..." Geoff whispered, cupping his cheek. "can I stay? I want to keep you safe."

Awsten nodded. He would never ever turn his best friend down.

--
AN//
Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! I'll update this as much as I can! 🖤