Chapter 3: The Promise

Start from the beginning

"So what's your business?"

Apparently by mutual consent, Mayor Rohman spoke first.

"As if you don't know. We're out here on account of the marks you've got under that glove. You show them to Doc Ferringo now, and if they're nothing then fine. But if they are... well then, unfortunately we'll have to put you in the asylum."

Katherine snorted in disagreement. "So you believe the nonsense that damn fool son of yours has been talking? He's been out here five times asking me to marry him and I've turned him down every time, so spreading stories when they ain't true, You keep spouting that filth and you won't like what happens, mayor or not."

The bluff rolled from her so fluently the mayor couldn't get a world in. His body flushing with rage.

"That's right! My sister ain't been marked by no Hollow! So hit the road, you old pervert," Anri shouted from his sister's side, pushing the mayor over the edge.

"What do you mean by calling me an old pervert? Why you... You little bastard! To say something like that about the mayor...a pervert of all things! I'll have you know.."

The old man had lost all control. He might hold all the real power in town, but he was still just the mayor of one tiny village, Simply touch on one of his ore spots, and his emotional restraints would burst. In that, he wasn't so different from the thugs behind him.

From the back, Patches bellowed, "They're making fools of us! C'mon boys, don't pay them no never mind. Let's grab them and burn the damn house down!"

Cries of "Hell Yeah" and "Damn Straight" resounded from the thugs.

"Hold everything! You pull any of that crap and you'll answer to me!" The rebukes flew from Sheriff Dalton. For a moments, Katherine expression was placid. Though still under thirty, the sincere and capable sheriff was someone she willing to trust. The thugs stopped moving to.

"Are you with them Sheriff?" Katherine asked in a low voice.

"I need you to understand something Katherine. I've got a job to uphold as Sheriff in this village. And checking out the mark on your hand is part of it. I don't want things to get out of hand. If it's nothing, then one peek will do. Take off your gloves and let Doc have a look."

"He's right," Dr. Ferringo said, rising in his saddle. He was about the same age as the mayor, but thanks to his studies of medicine in the Capital, he had the intelligent look of a distinguished old gentleman. Because Katherine and Anri's father had been a student of his at the education center, this good-natured man worried about their welfare on a daily basis. Before him alone, Katherine couldn't hold her head up. "No matter what the result may be, we won't do wrong to you. You leave it to me and the Sheriff."

"No way, she goes to the Asylum!" Patches spiteful words came from the back. "In this village, we got a rule that anyone that gets marked goes to the asylum, no matter who they are. And when we can't rid of Hollow...heh heh...then we chuck them out as monster bait!"

The Sheriff whipped around and roared, "Shut up, you damn fool!"

Patches was shocked into an embarrassed silence, but he drew power from the fact that he was surrounded by his hired hands. "Well put a badge on you and you get pretty damn tough. Before you give me any more back talk, check out the bitches hand."

"What did you just say boy?" The Sheriff's eyes had a look that could kill. At that same moment, the thugs were going for their backs and waists with their gun hands. An ugly situation was developing.

"Stop it," the mayor barked bitterly at the entire company. "What'll we prove by fighting among ourselves? All we have to do is take a look at the girl's hand and we'll be done here."