"Can't help you, mate. You see your sister is friends with her so, I'm afraid, Hayley's off limits." He walked past Damon and sat down on the sofa next to me. I scooted as far away from him as I could. Damon looked at me sympathetically and I looked down sadly. "Although, I did have a run in with a vampire who may know where Katerina is." Damon eyes moved back to Klaus. "Too bad for you, I bit halfway through his bloody neck. He probably won't have much time for chit-chat." Klaus explained him and Damon groaned, then left.

~

Hayley, Klaus, and I are sitting at a table across from each other. Hayley and I pulled our feet up into our chair, clicking our glasses, then taking a sip of wine, while Klaus talked to her. "So, you're rested, you're fed. Tell me about Katerina." Klaus said with tranquility.

"Most men get their power kick from torture and intimidation. With you, it's drinks and fine dining." Hayley said and I smiled.

"Well, in your case, I favor hospitality over unpleasantness, but I have been known to change my mind on a whim. Where is Katerina?" Klaus asked again while smiling.

"You seriously think I know?" She asked.

"You tipped her off," I gave her a glare. She knew knew much I hated Kathrine. "As to what we were up to and set her on a course to find the cure. In return, she sent her lackey to snuff you out. Tell me, what did Katerina promise you?" Klaus asked her.

Hayley looked at him and I and paused for a moment before setting down her glass, as I drank the rest of mine, and she readjusted in her seat, leaning forward. "I was in New Orleans trying to find information about my real parents. Katherine found me and told me she could help." Hayley said and I looked at her.

"An orphan? Well, that does explain your charming bravado. Abandonment issues will do it every time." Klaus said.

"Sounds like you would know." She said and I leaned towards her.

"As much as I hate to say it, he's the only one that can protect you at this point. And I'm sure he's happy to do so, provided you cooperate." I told her and I felt Klaus smiling at me for helping his side. Hayley didn't respond to what I said.

"At least I got you to say something nice about me." Klaus said to me and I looked at him.

"Don't get used to it."

~

Hayley was in another room. As I walked into different room with another drink in my hand, Klaus followed behind me and stopped in the doorway. I approached an area where Klaus's paintings laid on the tables or stood propped up on the ground.

"Hate that." I said pointing to the painting. I flipped through larger ones standing upright. "Too much. I don't get that." Klaus walked further into the room, looking like he's about to say something, but instead smiled and said nothing. I started picking up smaller paintings and gave them my opinions. 

"Hmm...I don't care." I tossed it away. "Hmm. This one." I picked up the painting of a dark figure silhouetted by a fading sky, standing near a bare tree. I smiled and looked over my shoulder at Klaus. "It doesn't make me wanna puke." Klaus smiled back, looking down, as I put it back down. "Why'd you paint it?" I asked him.

"Painting is a metaphor for control. Every choice is mine - the canvas, the color." He began to walk, slowly, closer to me. "As a child, I had neither a sense of the world nor my place in it, but art taught me that one's vision can be achieved with sheer force of will. The same is true of life, provided one refuses to let anything stand in one's way." Klaus explained to me. I snorted slightly, smiling at him. I looked up at Klaus through hooded eyes, and as I talked, leaning into his ear as I passed him.