Episode 7: XYZombie

"Sorry that we're late," Roy said, entering the classroom with Diane. His tie was on messily, as if he had put it on in a rush.

Diane sat down and kept from paying her older brother any attention whatsoever.

Blake sighed. Whatever the result of their latest argument was, it wasn't pretty.

***

[Outside the school]

"I sense it... the power of various XYZ users. Including the power of one yet to awaken," said an old man. He chuckled as he stepped forward.

"Who in the world is that weirdo?" one of the electricians asked as he watched the strange cloaked man walk away.

"Not sure. Maybe the grandfather of one of the students? Or maybe one of the teachers," another suggested. "Anyway. Seems that whatever happened, has fixed the generator. At least for now."

"Let's get going. Staying here is giving me the creeps," a third one said.

***

[Third Period-Biology]

"Your teacher is out currently," an old man announced to the class. "As such, I Mr. Borgo, will be your substitute teacher." His eyes which were obscured by sun-glasses dashed across the class until they landed on Blake.

"Today you'll be watching a video on the Meraville disaster."

Blake's eyes widened. "What?" he whispered. Why was he showing that in a biology class? Could it have been...

Silver signaled something to Blake. 'This guy is odd.'

Blake nodded. 'Yeah, he is.

The substitute teacher flashed a toothy grin at the two. "You two should know that it's rude to talk while someone is talking. Even if you two aren't doing so verbally."

"Ah. Sorry," Blake said, averting making eye contact.

"Alright. I accept your apology. As I was saying. There are rumors that this event lead to the genetic mutation among some of the population."

Roy snickered. "Really doc? You're teaching conspiracy theories now? Everyone knows that the blast killed everyone in the vicinity."

"Ah child. That was just a cover up by the government. There was even footage of the event in the news. Though every instance of it was wiped out." His eyes scanned the class anew. "I'm nearly sure that some of you might even harbor said genetic mutation. Including you."

Roy narrowed his eyes. Every fiber of his body felt like springing into action. The man wasn't normal, that much he was sure of. Diane looked at Blake and Silver's way with a worried face.

He snickered. "Sorry doc. But I think that you might have a few screws loose."

The entire class broke out into laughter.

The substitute turned away. "Fools." He grinned. Now he was sure of it. That red-head was one of them.

Blake felt a strange cold sensation, but not from Silver. Rather it came from the substitute teacher.

Melony, sitting diagonally from Blake, watched as he shivered. She took a look through the classroom windows at the sunlight and the clear blue sky. 'It's a pretty hot day today... So... Why is he shivering?' she thought.

"Daydreaming?" the substitute asked, watching her.

Shivers ran up her spine as she jumped. "No! I'm not. I was just waiting for you to start the video."