1.7

1.7
baby boy
_____________________________________

jungkook arrived home they way he always did. first cramped on a train, then walking down a lonely pathway, and finally, reaching his anticlimactic destination. he slung his apartment keys onto the kitchen counter and trudged towards his room.

the sun was still proudly shining in the sky above, and he couldn't wait until it began to fade to dusk. once in his bedroom, he stripped out of his day clothes and changed into something more comfortable. he tugged on a pair of gray sweatpants and disregarded the option for a top; walking around half naked.

he went to the store the day before and picked up food that wasn't just instant noodles and cereals. he opened his fridge and pulled out a container of strawberries and the melon he sliced to bite sized chunks. he also picked up a new box of plastic utensils, still needing to buy real ones. he was tired of having to use flimsy spoons and knives.

he made himself a small fruit salad and sat at his table, pulling open his laptop. he had a few homework assignments he needed to complete by the end of this week, but he wasn't in the mood to do anything right now. he, for some reason, felt drained.

jungkook hadn't even done much for the day, so he wasn't sure why he felt so exhausted. there was just this deep fatigue making home in his bones and he wasn't too fond of the feeling. he pulled the notepad on the table towards him and jotted down a new bullet item reading: get gym membership!!

on his laptop, he scrolled through the playlists he made before finding one he felt suited his mood. while the soft tunes flowed from the speakers of his device, he ate his cold fruit in silence and boredom.

now that he lived alone, he wondered how other people were able to do it. the constant quiet made him feel the need to fill up that space with random things. sometimes he'd play music, others an audio book. he would have the television turned on to some random channel he wasn't interested in, or he'd sing to himself.

lately, though, he found himself filling the overbearing silence with his own words. he'd talk though there was no one listening to him. he was half convinced his neighbors could hear his rambling through the sheet thin walls. they must think he's going out of his mind.

halfway done with his fruit is when an idea goes off like a lightbulb in his head. he reached for his phone that he stuck deep into his pockets and scrolled through the admittedly short contacts list before landing on dr. seokjin's number.

seokjin.
sent: 17:22

read 17:22

jungkook scoffed once checking his messages and seeing the older hadn't replied, yet clearly saw the message.

that was rude.
sent: 17:24

you say though you're
the one who ignored me
first.
sent: 17:24

rude and petty...
sent: 17:24

i was busy.
sent: 17:24

though seokjin was right, jungkook still felt the need to comment on the matter. he did feel guilty for having never gone through his side of the deal. he wasn't busy either, he was scared.

there were times he'd go back to the messages, his thumbs hovering over the keyboard ready to type his name, but he'd never do so.

not wanting to admit it, he was a coward

who are you? how'd
you get my number?
sent: 17:25

but gathering up the meager confidence he had when it came to seokjin, jungkook inhaled deeply and typed out something he hoped the older would understand. instead of hesitating to click the send button, his closed his eyes and tapped the screen with his conscious screaming in his head.

jin, it's me.
sent: 17:25

me who?
miso soup?
sent: 17:26

you're going to have to
do better than that, stranger.
sent: 17:26

ok, many people must call you jin then.

kook...why is this
so awkward!?
sent: 17:26

read: 17:27

jungkook held his breath as he saw the three dots indicating seokjin was replying pop up onto the screen. they did this repeatedly, sending the younger into fits of anxiety. instantaneously, he felt regret.

he braced himself for the rejection or light chastising his professor would send him, thinking he'd get scolded. he wasn't sure why, since they've done nothing wrong so far, but he just had a feeling.

oh jeon jungkook! wow
i'm finally hearing back from
you after how long?
sent: 17:28

sorry about that...
sent: 17:28

are you really, babyboy?
sent: 17:29

a prominent ringing steadily hummed in jungkook's ears as his face flushed from the nickname. he held his palm flat to his cheek in order to transfer some coolness, but it did little to help.

his previous assumption of how dr. seokjin would react was far wrong. in fact, it was completely on the opposite side of the spectrum on jungkook thought the situation would go.

dr. seokjin, are you
sure that's appropriate?
sent: 17:29

i know for a fact that it
isn't.
sent: 17:29

an additional message came almost immediately after.

and unless it bothers you
i have no intentions on
stopping.
sent: 17:29

_________________________________

(: