Fifteen Seats but One Empty Chair

Start from the beginning

I nodded. I trusted this man, for now. There was no reason for him to lie or betray me, but just to make sure nothing happened I called for Mosi and Ekene and ordered them to follow the litter in Efrican. 

After Nala, Augustus, and I climbed into the surprising spacious and comfortable litter, Augustus said, "Wow Princess I did not know that you spoke in Efrican."

"I know a thing or two," I smiled. 

The guards lifted the litter and carried us to the emperor's villa. For the most part the litter was covered, but in the front the curtains were tied to posts on each side, revealing the front. I could see far up ahead another litter, probably either Father's or Jamila's. 

"Did my father or sister get an escort like you to come fetch them for the emperor's dinner?" I asked as I stared outside. 

"No, they had the litter come fetch them.'' Even though I could not see Augustus I knew that he was grinning. 

I turned around to see I was correct and smiled. "So I am the only one to have the pleasure?"

"But of course! And I just wanted to see the princess many have said to look like a goddess," Augustus grinned even wider. 

I nodded. "Have you seen my sister then? She is also very beautiful."

"I have not and I am sure she is, but she will not compare to you."

I laughed. This Augustus Albia man made me laugh. No matter what he could not help but mention my beauty. He was so straightforward but did not seem creepy or gross like other men I have encountered. 

I began gagging as I smelled the wretched smell again. How was it possible for it to smell even worse?

"And this is why I had you ride in a litter," Augustus nodded towards the outside. 

I looked forward to see a stone-paved road flanked by footpaths, leading up to a large fountain. What I saw in the streets disgusted me. There was feces, urine, and blood everywhere. I saw poor women with starving children having to step into the filth. I saw drunk men who looked as though they haven't bathed in weeks, and I even saw a dead child just laying near the steps of a poor house. The citizens of Orbus were forced to live in such terrible conditions while nobility, royalty, and the wealthy did not have to deal with such vile conditions. I remembered back to the citizens of Beliba and was thankful that they did not have to live like this. Yes we have poor and some live in bad conditions but they can get themselves out of that. They can run in clean streets, not having to smell the same things Orbans did. 

"Do they not have anywhere to use the bathroom?" I asked. I had no idea whether or not they had a place for them to use the bathroom but if they did not it would certainly make more sense why this place was in as bad condition as it was. 

"Yes we have latrines and even public baths for the citizens of Orbus, but I believe some of them just want to make the streets unclean for everyone," Augustus answered.  

Or maybe the people of Orbus are just disgusting and want the emperor's attention, I thought as I continued to stare out. In the distance I saw a huge building, probably a three miles away or so. As I squinted my eyes I saw that it was a coliseum which fascinated me. Ever since I read about coliseums and the gladiator fights that take place there I have always wanted to go. I wanted to experience what the Orbans so desperately loved about it.  

The guards turned onto a different road, this one far cleaner than the others. On this road I saw shops and several temples dedicated to certain gods and goddesses. We continued this road and then switched onto another road after about thirty minutes of travel.