She was wearing a simple, half-sleeved, and knee-length white cotton dress. It ruffled around her as she almost jogged into the room.

"Ah, there're you guys," Kate smiled, walking over to the crib. "You're changing his diaper today?"

Mary smiled back fondly at Kate. "All the sisters have their hands full at the moment. How're you faring, dear?"

Kate helped Mary strap on the fresh diaper on a gurgling Owen who shrieked seeing her. "Very good. The doctor said I'm out of any fatal risk now, a session of radiotherapy will be needed to be performed after a while, however."

"And then you'll be completely well?"

"He said so," Kate grinned, feeling freer already at the thought of getting rid of her illness entirely.

"Mother Mary?..." Kate trailed off, she hesitated for a stressful moment before finally letting the question slip out of her mouth. "When I get rid of the tumor, entirely, will I be able to restart the process of adopting Owen?"

"Of course, you can," Mary nodded, making Kate heave a sigh of relief. "In fact, I was about to speak to you about it after the party."

Kate let the hope in her heart disperse everywhere inside her, and limitlessly. Her eyes turned glossy with the joy of a dream which seemed so much possible now. Seemed like fate had fallen tired fighting with her incessantly. Things were so looking up in her favor and she dared hope for the best.

--

Under the Oak trees they took seats at the front row that had been reserved specifically for them. Victor sat right next to her and then Ellie. All of them watched and clapped and encouraged the kids who gathered on the makeshift stage to perform after Mary had said some words, thanking the guests for coming and asking them for any kind of help that had the power to make these children's lives better and fill their days with happiness.

It was funny, seeing a volunteer Spider-man hop around while the dashing boys sang the infamous spiderman song. A girl performed on 'let it go' after that, accurately how Elsa had done it - angst and all. The gloves she threw away hit one of the audience square in the face. Kate recognized him as the executive of a renowned construction company, the middle aged man -otherwise grumpy as hell- gave out one of his rare smiles. Laughter erupted from everywhere around. Kate and Victor clapped vigorously while Ellie whistled like a madwoman. From Kate's lap, Owen shook his little fists into the air just like he always did when excited and squealed with laughter, copying everyone around him. Mimi, the four year old packet of cuteness with her group sang 'Old MacDonald had a farm'. Though they forgot lines halfway and made stuff up as they pleased, it was a big hit.

When the kids' performances were over with every kid that participated acting a little shy yet proud with jolly smiles, all the guests moved towards the long tables spread out. Many kinds of snacks were served there in buffet style, everyone lined up with plates to help their hungry stomachs.

"Why don't you get a second plate?" Victor commented as he waited behind Ellie, seeing her fill her plate up like a mountain.

Kate pressed her lips to suppress a laugh. She was rubbing Owen's back, the boy was busy trying to grab her bandana with deep concentration... perhaps wondering why it was in the place of her hair.

Elli just tilted her face around to glare at Victor before she moved away grumbling.

"She just likes to eat! What's wrong in that?" Reprimanded Kate, slapping him on the shoulder.