winter (six)

I had told Violet to come over at five, even though my dad wouldn't be home until around 6 and we wouldn't eat dinner until like 6:30. I mean, I liked to spend time with her, and I sorta wanted to give her a warning before the dinner happened. I've met her dad, and he was really normal, a pretty run of the mill guy. He was really nice, but that make me a little scared for how Vi'll react upon meeting the insanity, formality, and crassness of my father.

It was 4:57 when I heard the doorbell ring, and I ran down to the huge foyer as fast as possible to open the door for Violet.

When I opened the door, she stood there, with the gold clutch I had gotten her for our 1 month in hand, wearing a lace black dress that stopped right above her knees with her nails painted red and gold shadow lining her eyes.

I held out my hand for her to come in, pressing a kiss on her cheek.

"Babe, you look amazing," I commented, giving her another once over, smirking as she blushed.

"You don't look so bad yourself- too bad I don't get to see you cleaned up like this more often," she replied, placing a hand on my chest. I was wearing a nice white button down, black pants, and a simple, silk black tie.

I chuckled, taking her hand and leading her all the way up to my wing of the house, where Lacey pounced on her quickly. We pet and rubbed the little beagle's stomach for a while before sitting down on my bed, Violet sitting in my lap, my hands idling between her knees.

"Okay, now that you're here and I don't really think you can turn back, i'ma give you the rundown on Mark, and my dad, but Mark first. Mark Waide is me, older, and even though I so strongly believe everyone has a chance at redemption, his has passed. He was a fuckboy before our mother's death gave him reason to be, as it for me. He could have used it to get better, see it as a sign from the world, but he just got worse. Everyone can be redeemed, but Mark tests that belief more than anyone. So if he makes suggestive comments, to you, to me about past girlfriends or flings. I have a bad past, you know a lot about it, but he knows a fuckton. So, I apologize for how bad he may be and how much shit you may learn," I breathed out after this, finally, and Violet leaned in, pulling me into a flush kiss.

She had put her hands up in hair, leaning her chest against mine and moving her legs from between mine to wrap around my body, my hands leaving their space between her knees and steadying her before finding a home on Violet's hips.

It took a while for us to pull apart, both breathing heavily, but remaining in our places intertwined and curled around each other. She smiled, putting another kiss on my cheek before saying, "And Mr. Waide? What's all up with him?"

"He is... a character. He was never a great Dad, and not going to lie, my mother was never a great Mom. I miss her, because she care about me, but she and him.. they were never meant to be parents. There are certain people who weren't meant to go to college, or to have a certain job. Liam and Charlotte Waide? They were never meant to be parents. At 6 years old, I was treated as more of a friend than a son by my mother, and my dad had already begun building distance between him and his children. You see, mom liked kids, but in babysitter way, not a motherly one. Dad? He never liked kids. Basically, he grooms Mark to be able to take over his business, and even though I'm arguably the best economics student at Catalina, and he couldn't care les, but for some reason, Liam Waide is a big 'firstborn son must take over' guy. He judges me harshly and thinks that anyone who associates themselves with me in any way is poor, sleazy, and of bad character. So if he's rude to you, and I don't immediately shut the fuckhead down, just tap my leg, please, and know that he is just a bad person, and you are ten times better than he is or ever will be," I finished, smiling widely over at Violet, who had dropped her head into the nape of my neck.

"Babe, you don't have to defend me every time if that's just how it is," she replied, looking up at me through her lashes whilst still hiding her face in my neck, one corner of her mouth going up.

"I do, Vi," I explained, picking up her chin with my hand. "Because you're better than him, and you're better than me. And Mark and my dad should know that."

Violet pressed a kiss to my chin and wrapped her arms around me before putting her head back on my shoulder, looking up at me with her bright blue eyes and a close-lipped smile.

"And here I thought my family was messed up," she chuckled, pushing a strand of curled hair behind her ear and untangling herself from my embrace to prop herself up on a couple of my pillows. "Are they really that big of dicks? Like, that bad?"

"I don't really have anyone to actually compare it to, if that's what you mean. But from friend parent's and TV and all that, i've come to the conclusion that my Dad is one of the good ones. And Mark is the villain of every single teenage drama you've ever seen wrapped up into one, terrible son of a bitch. But, you can judge for yourself when you meet them, if you want," I responded, leaning back on the bed next to her and pulling her into me with an arm over her shoulder.

"Well, I think you are fucking amazing, just for the record," she retorted, looking up to face me. "So, fuck 'em."