“Well, I don’t want that to happen, but I want you safe, and I think if you’re distracted, you won’t do your job well. Joe is going to expedite your restraining order, and we’re going to surround the street and woods behind the house to protect you.”

“We, Adam?” She raised an inquiring brow.

“We includes Terry, Matt, Joe, and Will. My Corps buddy I was telling you about got with the rest of our little team. We are going to get this guy once and for all. He also talked to our buddy on the team who’s in Washington. Ben’s a fugitive, and he’s wanted by the Bureau as well as in four States. Go meet with who you need to, and I will be watching the door until you come out” Adam kissed her as she walked out of the Nursing Office. She was crying. She didn’t say what had happened, and he didn’t ask. They had to go see the Hospital Administrator.

Five minutes later, she walked out. “Well, what’d they say?” Adam had to ask.

“I’m unofficially suspended until this is resolved, but they will tell him I was fired and that they don’t know my whereabouts. They fully understand that I have nothing to do with this creep, and security is being beefed up until he’s behind bars.”

“Do you want to get out of town until we catch him? We can arrange any travel needs.”

“No. I’m staying. I am not running anymore! I need to look the devil in the face and send him back to where he came from. I know who’s got my back.” She smiled and hugged Adam as they walked down the hall.

. . . . .

Ben watched them walk back to the black truck. Now was not the time to act, but to watch. He’d follow them until he found where she lived. He’d surprise her soon with an offer she wouldn’t be able to refuse. Or else. She’d sacrifice herself just to make sure her new man survived. She’d done it before, but ran off, and he’d killed the guy anyway. Sooner or later, he’d catch up to her again, and finish what they started over seven years ago. Time to head out. They weren’t expecting the red pickup, so he knew he was safe until they were further out.

Taking the highway, he listened to the radio, all the while keeping an eye on them. “This just in: Be on the lookout for Benjamin Jenkins. Wanted for murder in four States, as well as assault. He has blue eyes, brown hair, approximately 25-35 years old, 5 ft. 10 in. tall. He is considered armed and dangerous. If you see him, call 911 or your local emergency number.”

Ben just laughed. They were looking for him again. Well, this time he was going to get his girl before they found him. He’d make sure of it. It didn’t matter who he had to kill, law enforcement or civilian, he would get her once and for all. He turned the radio up louder and listened to the song coming on.

. . . . .

“Don’t get alarmed yet, but there’s a red pickup following us. I’m calling the Sheriff.” Renee said. Adam had been tracking the truck for thirty minutes now, though he didn’t tell her. Very few people travelled this highway this far out unless they knew exactly where they were going. He knew both neighbors vehicles, and they knew his. The nice thing about a dead end dirt road was familiarity. “The Sheriff said they had a patrol three minutes from the house, and they’d set up a road block to keep any ‘unwanted visitors’ out. Identification and proof of address would be necessary to pass through, and if he is following us home, he will be stopped and arrested.” She breathed a sigh of relief.

“The guys are coming tonight to check out the surrounding areas and perimeter of your house. If you’ve never been, you are about to be in protective custody. The good kind, though. OKAY?” He smiled, trying to comfort her. He knew the guys were trustworthy.