Callum’s smile fell as he leaned closer to our faces to expect our wounds. “What the hell happened to you two? Did you guys wrestle each other or something?” He punched Noah lightly in the shoulder with a smirk. “Dude, Emma looked like she won.”

Noah glared at his friend, but I could tell the joke was not the only thing that angered him. “Shut up, Cale.”

Emma, ¿qué pasó?” Paige gasped, studying my bandaged chin. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” I answered with a roll of my eyes. “I just scraped my chin when I went rollerblading with Noah. I thought I texted you this?”

“And what happened to you, man?” Callum asked before Paige could respond. Both his and Paige’s eyebrows rose slightly at the mention of spending time with Noah.

“Emma accidently swung the bat and hit my eye while I was teaching her how to play baseball – for the project.”

Paige whistled. “Wow, you guys have been spending a lot of time together.”

I crossed my arms across my chest and locked my eyes on Paige. “Well, you’re one to talk.”

Paige looked down and gulped, refusing to make eye contact with me. I haven’t heard from her in over a week. That was the longest I haven’t talked to Paige. Even on trips, we would call or message each other every other day! I was worried sick that I called her mom to check up on her. Call me melodramatic, but to know that she was enjoying life with Callum without telling me was a huge blow to my face.

Noah copied my action, but stared at his own best friend instead. “Yeah, Callum, it seems that you two are getting along really well.”

“I’m sorry!” Paige blurted at the same time Callum rolled his eyes and said, “Oh, quit being overdramatic. You’ll always be my bro.”

“I just lost track of time. This idiota,” Paige pointed her thumb at Callum. Ignoring Callum’s snide remarks, she continued. “This idiota lost my phone at the library – how do you lose a phone at the library! We had class council meetings every lunch last week because we’re discussing prom and grad! Midterms and project submissions are coming up! I’ve just been very busy.”

“Um, I think they were referring to us,” Callum interjected, pointing a finger in between them.

Noah and I watched with hitched eyebrows as Paige rolled her eyes. “You shouldn’t have brought it up.”

“Well, I’m pretty sure they would’ve remained curious even after your stress rage.”

“Look, Ems, you’re my best friend. Please forgive me for not updating you on everything. My life would totally suck without you. Callum and I – well, one thing led to another and here we are. I really like him, Ems,” she admitted.

I winced as her death grip on my arm tightened. Paige, who was usually strong and brave, looked at me in despair and fear. I wasn’t angry with her, but I was hurt that she didn’t at least inform me about Callum. However, something that small wasn’t something to end a friendship over.

With a small smile, I said, “I’m happy for you Paige.”

“Really?” Noah, Callum, and Paige said together in bewilderment.

Paige squealed, wrapping her arms around me tightly. I laughed, return the hug tightly. “Oh gosh, I was so worried I was going to lose you.”

I patted her back. “You’re silly. You should already know we’ll be sisters no matter what.”