Original Edition: 15 | Charade

Start from the beginning

Feeling restless, I hop down from my perch on the stool, taking my glass to the sink and rinsing it out. With my back to her, I take a deep breath, closing my eyes. Her mention of my relationship reminds me of Mason's words to me last night, demanding that I reconcile with Dylan. The thought of it all causes my stomach to twist anxiously. I need answers. I don't know how he expects me to trust him blindly.

"I'm going to quit," Audrey suddenly announces, a touch of nervousness to her voice, snapping me out of my reverie, and I turn around to frown at her.

"What?"

She reaches up, tucking some of her hair behind her ear and biting her lip. "I'm going to quit my job at Antonio's today. I can't... I can't see him. That's too much for me," she says in defeat, shaking her head.

My heart sinks. Her whole life is changing because of my stupid mistakes and lack of judgment.

"Do you have to quit?" I ask, trying to reason with her. "Couldn't you explain the situation and ask to not work the same shifts as him?"

She shakes her head, remaining firm. "Even being there is too hard. It's the place we met, the place we fell in love. And now it's ruined."

"I'm really sorry," I say sincerely, walking over to her and looping my arms around her shoulders. "This sucks."

Laughing bitterly, she sighs. "You're telling me. But I think it will be good, having a new start and all."

I release her, stepping away as she stands up, plastering a smile on her face again, and it makes me wonder how many of her smiles are false. She always does her best to put on a brave face, and it makes me both admire and pity her at the same time.

"Anyway," she says, "I'm going to drive over there this morning so I can give you a ride to school if you want."

"Sure," I reply, nodding and smiling meekly, "thanks."

Audrey exits the kitchen to finish getting ready, but I stay behind a little while longer, trying to convince myself that both of our lives are better without Parker White in them.

✘✘✘

Getting out of Audrey's car and stepping onto the pavement of the school's front walkway feels scarily reminiscent of my first day back after returning from the hospital. The curious glances and whispers are still there, that hasn't changed, though they've lowered the intensity a great deal, and I can ignore them if I really try. But today, it feels harder. Maybe it's because I've decided to take Mason's advice into consideration, and that means I'm going to have to speak with Dylan, Zoe, and James again after what feels like a long mutual silence.

The nightmare I had last night doesn't help either, as I know I'm about to come face to face with the boy whose face is starting to haunt me. Even the thought of him makes my heart race.

Pulling the heavy door open, I cross the threshold of Pender Falls High, taking a deep breath. I begin to walk toward my locker, my legs becoming shakier with each step, and I try to keep my breathing consistent, and stay calm.

I see a familiar figure in my periphery, and I look in that direction inconspicuously, locking gazes with Mason. He stands at the other end of the hallway, his dark hair spilling over his forehead slightly, and other students mill about in front of him, unaware of our silent conversation. His eyes are prying, looking for an answer to the unspoken question floating between us. He lifts his chin a fraction of an inch, eyes shifting in the direction of the infamous threesome standing by Zoe's locker, before shifting back to me. Swallowing, I nod discreetly, and he seems satisfied with that answer.