Chapter 9- The Fujioka's

So, this chapter begins with a bit of a time skip, I'm cutting out the physical exam, so sorry if you love that episode. This is going to be about a week after the last chapter ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat at the dinner table while laughing my head off at a story Ranka was telling; he was as flamboyant as Tamaki, but he is also like a mama bear if one of his kids is threatened. Yes, you heard me right, kids; don't worry, Haruhi is an only child, but in this last week, Ranka had decided that I was going to be his second daughter. I'll be honest, he terrified me at first, but as I watched him interacting with Haruhi, it left a huge impression on me.

I had no idea that this is how families were supposed to be, I know things weren't always as bad for me as they are not, but I wasn't really close with my parents. More often than not, Ryuki convinced Mom to go to my activities; so, even though I was a lot closer with Mom than I was with Father, it was still a distant relationship. The longer I stayed with the Fujioka's, the more I saw how screwed up my own family life was, but for the moment, I was just enjoying being a part of this wonderful family.

"Risa dear, are you sure you don't want more? You barely ate anything!" Ranka looked at me with a concerned eye. "You've gotten better since you've come here, but you're still far too skinny for my liking."

"Thanks for your concern Ranka-sama, but I really am just full! This meal was wonderful, and if I could eat more, I would, I promise you that." I smiled fondly at the two people I practically considered family.

"Risa, what have I told you about calling me that! If you must use an honorific, then call me Oto-san, after all, you practically are my daughter!" I just laughed at his words. He had been trying to get me to call him Dad or Oto-san since my second day here.

"I'm not sure I'll be able to Ranka, but just for you, I'll drop the -sama." Haruhi was listening to our conversation like it was an interesting tennis game, I think she got more of a kick out of my relationship with Ranka than anyone else.

"Okay you too, help me clean up would you.? Then Risa and I need to be going to study, because I know that you have a test tomorrow, and you told me that you weren't sure about how well you'd do." Haruhi giggled at the crestfallen look on my face as she reminded me of that fact.

"Oh, right... I guess that studying would be good, but before I go, Ranka, I challenge you to a game of Mario Cart!" I found out quickly that all three of us loved Mario Cart; so, despite Haruhi's protests, I bought a Wii, and the game. Ranka and I were both fiercely competitive, so it had become a nightly ritual that we play at least on game, while Haruhi sat to the side cheering on whoever seemed to be winning.

***

After I got thrashed by Ranka, then took him down during the second game, Haruhi and I went to our shared room. We talked about everything during our time alone, but she did steer clear of my family, and I was grateful for that.

During my time here, I had realized that I couldn't keep being the victim; it was time to take my happiness into my own hands, and stop letting my Father rule me with fear and violence. I wanted to rebel, but to do that I would need help. I fell asleep making a plan and dreaming of the possibilities.

***

"Honey-senpai, Mori-senpai, could I talk to you for a minute?" I called out to the third years when I saw them at lunch. They turned and Honey smiled at me, looking every bit like the Lolita he portrayed.

"Hey Ri-chan, what do you need?" Mori pulled Honey off his shoulders, and we all went to sit down at a table.

"Well, I was wondering if you two would be willing to teach me self-defense. You don't have to, I was just wondering, but if it's too much of a bother-"